You’ll learn …
- How to handle the toughest questions with finesse and polish
- Techniques for maintaining your composure when you feel like losing your cool
- How to think on your feet in meetings, interviews and impromptu presentations … no more regrets over what you wish you’d said!
- Diplomatic ways to deliver bad news without creating bad feelings
- And much more!
Are you tired of being intimidated by high-pressure situations and difficult people? Learn how to handle touchy topics, problem people and sticky situations with finesse and skill in this two-day workshop. You’ll feel on top of challenging situations with new confidence in yourself and your abilities once you put this extensive collection of tips, secrets and skills to work.
Day One: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Communicating under pressure: How to be poised, calm and effective no matter what
- Why being able to think on your feet—and then communicate effectively—is crucial in today’s workplace
- What gets in your way? Here’s how to pinpoint and eliminate your communication snags
- Instant solutions to the most common communication problems
- How to tell the truth without fear
- Proven tips for making sure your instructions are clear and understood
- How focusing on the person’s feelings allows them to “get” your message
- Responding to questions, even when you don’t know the answer
- Techniques for handling disagreements
- What’s your credibility quotient? Gain and maintain respect with these strategies
- How to capture your listener’s attention and get your point across—even when they’re resistant, upset or angry
- Excuses, excuses—how they can torpedo your reputation and career
- How showing others how to please you will make your life easier
- Don’t shoot the messenger! Diplomatic ways to say “No,” deliver bad news and give helpful feedback
- Phone vs. face-to-face communication—important differences you must be aware of
- No more “foot-in-mouth” disease—how to avoid saying things you’ll regret
The secrets to getting the information you want
- Breaking the ice … tips for getting a conversation rolling
- How skillful listening will bring you great power
- What are the filters you listen through?
- How to get the information you need … more quickly
- Tips on understanding and communicating effectively with different personality types
- Listening between the lines—identifying the hidden agendas and false signals that lead to misunderstandings
- How to get a “rambler” to cut to the chase
- 7 body language signs to watch for—and what they mean
- The 4 steps for handling complaints masterfully
- When you’re the target—how to handle criticism, barbs and wisecracks
- The dangers of saying too much … how to know when to keep your mouth shut
- He said/she said … it pays to understand how gender-oriented communication styles differ
Day Two: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Diplomacy in action: How to manage conflicts and prevent communication problems
- Where do most problems come from?
- How being unconditionally constructive is the key to your success
- The 5 most powerful words in the English language
- All we want is a little respect … ways to encourage this all-important practice
- Sure-fire ways to prevent or reduce defensive behavior
- The 4 types of questions … how to know which to use to get the information you need
- How to deal with hotheads, bad-mouthers, habitual fault-finders and other morale busters
- Handling other people’s conflicts without getting caught in the crossfire
- Putting it on paper—writing skills that will see you through touchy situations
- The do’s and don’ts of documentation … these guidelines could save your hide!
- When things get out of hand—techniques for defusing tense or explosive situations
- “We’re in this together” … how to turn tough cases into team players
- Getting to win-win solutions—there’s no reason to have any “losers” in your company anymore
How to be positively persuasive: Getting people to buy into your ideas
- The secret to projecting an aura of confidence and power
- Being a person of your word … how cultivating that reputation gives you great power
- Negotiation strategies for getting agreement without giving in
- How to make it easy for a person to change his or her mind
- When there’s no budging them—how to formulate a Plan B
- Master the sound bite: How to package concepts and information into memorable nuggets
- 5 steps to follow to respond to any question successfully
- Killjoys, skeptics and wet blankets—how to deal productively with even the toughest objections and resistance
- How to participate in and lead productive meetings
- Tips and techniques for delivering knockout presentations
- How to be a great leader—learn to communicate in a way that motivates and inspires