Title Review, Surveys, Title Insurance Endorsements, Curing Defects and More
Title defects and encumbrances can delay closings or sink deals altogether. Furthermore, issues not caught and dealt with during the transaction may create unpleasant surprises later on. Do you have what it takes to uncover and effectively address these title concerns? This focused program will provide you with real-world strategies for finding and fixing title issues. From title examinations to insurance and post-closing matters, gain the practical knowledge and skills you need to protect your client's interests. Maximize title protections - register today!
- Learn the art of reviewing titles and making title objections.
- Discover how to read and review title commitments, legal descriptions and land surveys.
- Use title insurance endorsements to your advantage and minimize exceptions to coverage.
- Find out how to fix mortgage problems, liens, and other title defects.
- Evaluate and find ways to resolve easement, access and encroachment issues in title.
- Troubleshoot closing problems and determine what to do if title issues arise after the policy's been issued.
- Reviewing Title Commitments and Surveys
9:00 - 10:00, Orlando Lucero
- Title Searches and Examinations: An Insider's Look
- Line-by-Line Through the Title Commitment
- Schedule A
- Schedule B-I
- Schedule B-II
- Investigating Special Exceptions
- Reading Legal Descriptions
- State and ALTA/NSPS Survey Standards
- Surveys: What the Title Examiner Looks for
- Basic Surveying Terms and Symbols
- How the Real Estate Attorney Reviews Title
10:15 - 11:30, James S. Rubin
- What to Look for
- Schedules A and B
- Understanding the Importance of Exception 10
- Special Exceptions
- Ensuring Title Reports and Land Surveys Align
- Boundaries, Easements, Improvements, Encroachments
- Access Issues
- Setbacks and Zoning Requirements
- Title Objections and Sample Letter
- Approaches to Title Issues: Transfer Risk, Accept the Risk or Solve the Problem?
- Title Insurance Endorsements and Negotiating Tactics to Maximize Coverage
11:30 - 12:15, Orlando Lucero
- Getting Insurers to Remove or Modify Exceptions
- Review of Endorsements - What do They Really Cover?
- Endorsements to Obtain, When and Why
- Endorsements That are Unnecessary
- Risk vs. Cost Analysis and Keeping Costs Down
- Negotiating Endorsement Coverage
- Curing Title Defects: Mortgage Issues, Liens, Legal Description Errors and More
1:15 - 1:55, Suzanne C. Odom
- Easement, Access and Encroachment Issues in Title
1:55 - 2:45, Colin Cameron
- Interpretation of Rights to Use Access Easements and Private Roads
- Easement Size and Location
- Rights and Maintenance Responsibilities
- Insuring Servitudes
- Common Encroachment Issues
- Easement Creation and Termination
- Encroachment Agreements and Removal
- Handling Closing and Post-Closing Problems
3:00 - 3:30, James S. Rubin
- Closing-Related Issues and Solutions
- Spot Checking the Title Insurance Policy
- Title Problems That May Arise Post-Closing
- The Claims Process and Litigation
- Ethical Considerations
3:30 - 4:30, David J. Pumarejo
- Attorneys' Fees
- Conflicts of Interest
- Multiple Representation
- Disclosure of Defects in Property