Every memo, every letter, every email or proposal you write speaks volumes about you and your organization. That’s why it’s so important that each correspondence that leaves your desk is crisp, polished and professional. Email is not exempt from the rules of professional communication. In fact, clear and concise emails have a much better chance of being read and getting positive results.
Writing Better Business Emails focuses on the fundamentals of email composition and delivery in a workplace setting. This LIVE, virtual workshop covers a wealth of shortcuts, easy-to-remember tips and insiders’ secrets to help you create first-class business correspondence, overcome business writing obstacles and become a more effective business communicator. You'll learn how to write, edit and proofread emails that project credibility and professionalism — purposeful communications that are free from error and yield positive results.
This interactive, instructor-led course was developed with all-new content that reflects email best practices in today’s modern work environment. Designed for employees who frequently write and respond to emails, this interactive one-day workshop uses scenario-based practices to provide practical writing examples as well as in-class mentorship and feedback.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Correctly identify the specific audience and purpose of every email they write so they can tailor the message appropriately
- How to begin with the end in mind and determine the appropriate call to action
- Learn to identify the suitability of using email at work in place of other modes of communication.
- Match the purpose of the message to the communication style of the recipient and employ email best practices to efficiently achieve intended outcomes
- Increase the credibility and impact of email communications by writing concisely and with clear purpose
Program time: 3 hours
Session 1: Writing With Purpose
- Recognize the importance of identifying purpose and desired outcomes before writing professional emails.
- Describe how to determine purpose of and the intended audience for your email.
- Discuss how to write effectively for different internal and external audiences.
- Practice writing for a specific audience and purpose.
- Understand the importance of polished email writing skills and how they set great employees apart.
Session 2: Establishing the Role of Email in the Workplace
- Define the role of email in the workplace in the context of time and type of information to be shared.
- Understand when another mode of communication would be more effective than email.
- Discuss best practices for communicating the intended message through email.
- Explain the unintended consequences that could result from ignoring email etiquette.
- Practice writing for impact: Message matters.
Session 3: Outlining the Mechanics of Writing Emails
- Discuss how to communicate purpose quickly.
- Distinguish the difference between being concise and being brief
- Recognize the basics of writing professional emails.
- Understand how to organize an email for efficient reading.
- Identify techniques to review email drafts for appropriateness.