A Comprehensive Overview of Handling Workers' Compensation Cases
Successfully handling a workers' compensation claim requires an in-depth knowledge of useful hearing strategies and an understanding of medical issues amongst other things. Other tricky issues, such as Medicare set-asides and occupational diseases, complicate things even more. This in-depth seminar will explore the comprehensive nature of a workers' compensation claim from start to finish and provide you with the knowledge you need to improve the outcomes of your workers' compensation cases. Register today!
- Strengthen your knowledge of key workers' compensation laws, practices and issues.
- Provide greater value to your clients by knowing the ins and outs of key workers' compensation forms and procedures.
- Gain an advantage over the other side by knowing how they prepare their case.
- Determine if an intoxication defense is valid to use when an injured worker's toxicology report shows evidence of illegal substance use.
- Analyze settlement agreements and spot key pitfalls that deprive your clients of essential funds.
- Don't let Medicare break your settlement: get up to speed on how to handle Medicare set-asides.
- Workers' Compensation: Key Concepts and Issues
9:00 - 9:40, Jared O'Connor
- State Workers' Compensation Laws
- Responsibilities of Employers and Employees
- Statutes of Limitations
- Workers' Compensation Fraud
- Navigating Workers' Compensation Processes, Procedures and Forms
9:40 - 10:20,
- Medical Issues in Workers' Compensation: Legal Perspectives
10:35 - 11:25, Kevin W. Stuart
- Psychiatric Injuries
- Work-Related Aggravations of Pre-Existing Conditions
- Toxicology Reports: Understanding the Intoxication Defense
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Return-to-Work Issues
- Occupational Disease Claims in Workers' Compensation
- Preparing Your Case
11:25 - 12:05, Kevin E. Buchholz
- Claimant's Attorney: Intake, Investigation and Case Preparation
- Defendant's Attorney: Receipt of the File, Investigation and Case Preparation
- Preparing Appeals: Special Considerations
- Settlement Options
1:05 - 1:45, Doug Grauel
- Which Settlement Type is Best?
- Settlement Agreements: What Should be Included?
- Key Settlement Pitfalls to Avoid
- Strategies for Settlement Mediation Conferences
- Liens and Subrogation Interests
- Workers' Compensation Medicare Set-Aside Arrangements
1:45 - 2:45, Christine Hummel
- The Medicare Secondary Payer Act
- CMS Thresholds, Approval and Settlement Allocation
- Methods of MSA Funding
- MSA Accounts, Terms and Administration
- Enforcement Rights for Medicare
- Medicaid Set-Aside Essentials
- Recovery from Third Parties
3:00 - 3:30, Tracy L. McGraw
- Statutory Perspectives
- Investigations in Third-Party Cases: Tips and Tactics
- Proving Fault
- Subrogation: When Does it Occur?
3:30 - 4:30, Tracy L. McGraw
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- Contacts with Parties, Doctors and Rehabilitation Personnel
- Attorneys' Fees
- Lawyer Liability