Water Rights in North Dakota
presented by NBI, Inc.
Water Rights in North Dakota
Get the Tools You Need to Successfully Tackle Challenging Water Law Cases
The fight for "liquid gold" is getting ugly. With developers, government officials, energy companies, tribal leaders, utility companies, farmers and others putting water in their crosshairs, more and more attorneys are taking on these complicated cases. This focused legal program is packed with the latest and greatest legal strategies for protecting your client's water rights and use. Whether you're an experienced water law attorney or new to the practice area, this program will provide you with practical tools to tackle water law cases. Register today!
- Gain the tools you need to handle evaluation, development, adjudication, legislation and acquisition of water rights.
- Get the fundamentals of water law down, learn critical terminology and find out how to simplify the adjudication process.
- Hear the most recent case law, review recent legislative updates and understand the interaction between federal, state and local water law regulations.
- Discover real-world techniques for handling leasing, modification, exchange, transfer, purchase and sale of water rights.
- Find out practical strategies for handling ownership and lease disputes, condemnation disputes, easement challenges and application disputes from experienced attorney faculty.
- Examine emerging hydraulic fracturing, tribal and geothermal water law issues.
- Overcome ethical challenges of representing more than one client in a river system.
- PRIOR APPROPRIATION WATER LAW MADE SIMPLE
9:00 - 10:00, Bennett Johnson and Tami L. Norgard
- Water Law Fundamentals - A Brief Overview
- Determination/Allocation of Water Rights
- Water Law Terminology for Attorneys
- Overview of the Administrative System
- Visual Aids of State Water Bodies, Rivers and Streams - What Water is Being Disputed and Why
- LEGISLATION, REGULATION AND CASE LAW UPDATE
10:00 - 11:00, Bennett Johnson and Tami L. Norgard
- State and Local Water Law Update
- Federal Legislation and Regulations
- Federal, State and Local Regulations and Compliance Update
- Recent Case Law
- HANDLING THE APPLICATION, LEASE, TRANSFER AND SALE OF WATER RIGHTS
11:15 - 12:15, Bennett Johnson and Tami L. Norgard
- Applying for Water Rights - From Basic to Complex
- Purchase/Sale of Water Rights
- Negotiating and Drafting Agreements
- HANDLING WATER RIGHTS DISPUTES: ADJUDICATION PROCEDURES AND LITIGATION TIPS
1:15 - 2:15, Bennett Johnson and Tami L. Norgard
- The Adjudication Process
- Ownership Disputes
- Condemnation Disputes
- Lease Disputes
- Opposing an Application for New Water Rights
- Modification Disputes
- Easement Disputes
- CURRENT ISSUES, LEGAL CHALLENGES AND RECENT TRENDS
2:30 - 3:30, Bennett Johnson and Tami L. Norgard
- Tribal Water Rights
- Hydraulic Fracturing- Water Use in the Oil and Gas Industries
- Current Water Quality Standards/Contamination Issues
- Drought Challenges
- Overcoming Ditch Company Challenges
- Local and Municipal Initiatives, Utilities and Development Projects
3:30 - 4:30, David J. Chapman
- Confidentiality, Loyalty and Attorney Client Privilege
- Conflicts of Interest
- Handling Bar Grievances and Other Disciplinary Actions
Who Should Attend
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar is designed for those who are involved in water right disputes and transactions, use, regulation and protection of water resources. The following should attend: