* You will be able to describe the benefits associated with health insurance opt out incentive programs.
* You will be able to discuss the risks associated with optout programs.
* You will be able to explain the essential components of an optout program.
* You will be able to recognize potential compliance risks presented by specific optout provisions.
Explore effective health care costcutting procedures and learn how to implement the best choice for your company.
As the cost of providing health coverage has skyrocketed, employers have searched for strategies to control their employee benefits budget. One increasingly popular strategy is an optout incentive program for employees. Such programs provide employees with an incentive, often in the form of cash payment, to decline employerprovided health coverage. Employees electing these optout incentives may or may not have alternative coverage available to them. Although such programs may seem simple enough, they are rife with multiple compliance landmines that can trip up unwary employers. This material helps employee benefits and human resources professionals understand the compliance problems that can arise from optout incentive programs. You will learn how to spot problem spots in existing programs as well as tips for developing compliant and effective programs.
The Rise of Opt-out Incentives
• Market Data
• Litigation Risks
• Minimum Participation Requirements/Adverse Selection
Compliance Concerns With Opt-out Incentives
• Affordable Care Act
• HIPAA Special Enrollment
• Section 125/FSAs
• Fair Labor Standards Act
• Tax Issues
• Collective Bargaining
• State Law Issues
Designing an Opt-out Incentive Program
• Eligibility Criteria
• Cash Incentives and Alternatives
• Documentation Requirements
Eric N. Athey with McNees Wallace & Nurick LLC
CLE (Please check the Detailed Credit Information page for states that have already been approved) ,CPE ,HR Certification Institute ,SHRM ,Additional credit may be available upon request.