Clear-Cut Techniques, Case Scenarios, Sample Forms and MUCH More!
Are you ready to handle these complex cases? This practical uninsured and underinsured motorist litigation course will clarify the in's and out's of these thorny cases - AND walk you through important information you should look for along the way. Seasoned attorney faculty will review UM/UIM coverage and highlight the steps you must take when dealing with either an uninsured or underinsured case. Filled with doctor deposition strategies, damage and limit calculations, medical record discovery and settlement strategies unique to UM/UIM cases; this course will help you face these complicated suits with confidence - register today!
- Get up to speed on state-specific UM/UIM statutes, trends and court rulings.
- Gain knowledge on interpreting exclusions in the policy.
- Explore ways to calculate limits and damages in underinsured motorist cases.
- Learn tips for negotiating with insurance companies.
- Examine real-world case scenarios of both uninsured and underinsured motorist cases.
- Get concrete medical record and medical expert skills specific to UM/UIM cases.
- Review sample letters, forms and documents relative to both uninsured and underinsured cases.
- Explore bad faith considerations in UM/UIM cases.
- Oklahoma UM/UIM Insurance Law Fundamentals
9:00 - 9:30, Michael D. Duncan
- Legislative Update
- Statute of Limitations
- Court Filing Procedures and Deadlines
- Choice of Law and Venue
- Clarifying UM/UIM Coverage - Carrier Obligations Made Simple
9:30 - 10:30, Ronald L. Walker
- Insurance Coverage Obligations
- Who's Covered? Defining "Family Member"
- Interpreting Exclusions in the Policy
- Policy Arbitration Requirements
- Lawsuit Threshold
- Finding Sources and Limits of Coverage
- Hit and Run Coverage
- Waiving Coverage
- "Arising out of Ownership, Maintenance or Use"?
- Is the Motorist Underinsured? Easy Ways to Calculate Limits and Damages
10:45 - 11:30, David Bernstein
- State Case Law
- Calculating Liability Limits
- Proof, Quantification and Calculation of Damages/Injuries
- How Much the Policy Covers
- Loss of Earning Capacity and Future Lost Wages
- Pain and Suffering Damages
- Medical Bills
- Offsets and Reimbursements
- Stacking Made Simple
- Medical Discovery Basics for UM/UIM Cases
12:30 - 1:00, Thomas G. Ferguson Jr.
- Review of Medical Bills and Records
- Physical Examination of the Injured Person
- Doctor Deposition - Plaintiff and Defense Strategies
- UNDERinsured Motorist Case Mechanics - Real Life Case Scenarios
1:00 - 1:45, Thomas G. Ferguson Jr.
- Injury Claims Due to Vehicle Operation, Maintenance and Use
- Naming Multiple Parties to the Lawsuit
- Filing the Underinsured Motorist Claim with Insurance Company
- Accident Scene Discovery Strategies Unique to UIM Cases
- Sample Demand, ROR Letters and Insurance Forms
- Tips for Working with the Liability Insurance Adjuster
- UNinsured Motorist Case Mechanics - Real Life Case Scenarios
1:45 - 2:30, Thomas G. Ferguson Jr.
- Client Intake Tips Specific to the Uninsured Motorist Case
- Burden of Proof - On Insured or Insurer?
- Hit and Run Accident Scene Investigation
- Sample Initial Pleadings and Motions Specific to Uninsured Motorist Cases (with Examples)
- Does the Insurer Have Subrogation Rights to UM Benefits?
- UM/UIM Arbitration and Settlement Strategies
2:45 - 3:30, David Bernstein
- Mandatory Arbitration Clauses in Policies
- The Timing and Form of Demand
- Waiver of Arbitration
- Issues Subject to Arbitration
- Overturning and Modifying Arbitration Award
- Filing Award as Judgment
- Arbitration Procedures
- Ethics in UM/UIM Cases
3:30 - 4:30, Michael D. Duncan
- Conflicts of Interest
- Bad Faith Considerations
- Valuing the Claim
- Informed Consent