Overcoming Difficult Issues in Family Law
Resolving the wide variety of issues that must be addressed in family law can be challenging. This course will tackle some of the biggest problems in family cases, including tough discovery and evidence issues, complex assets, military divorce matters and much more. Don't miss this opportunity to take your family law skills to the next level with these helpful tactics for overcoming key challenges - register today!
- Explore the challenges involved with conducting complex discovery involving social media, email and text.
- Discover effective ways to find and untangle complex assets involved in divorce.
- Tackle difficult retirement and pension concerns with a comprehensive look at QDROs.
- Review ways to overcome complicated problems that arise with determining child and spousal support.
- Take the confusion out of the tricky considerations surrounding a military divorce.
- Discuss efficient methods to confront heated custody and parenting time dilemmas.
- Learn approaches for dealing with parental alienation and abuse allegations.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Overcoming Discovery and Evidence Obstacles in Family Law
9:00 - 9:30, Patrick Slaughter
- Smart Phone, Text and Social Media Evidence - Uncovering Critical Information
- Balancing the Need for Information and the Cost
- Spoliation Pitfalls
- Subpoenas for Cell Phone Records and Social Media - Confronting Common Defenses
- Authentication and Admission Evidence Challenges
- Complex Assets: Finding, Valuing and Dividing
9:30 - 10:15,
- Commingled Separate and Marital Assets
- Real Property Interests
- Valuing and Dividing Family Business Assets
- Finding Hidden Assets, Income and Debt
- Using Forensic Accountants and Business Valuation Experts
- Prenuptial Agreements: Proving/Disproving Validity
- QDROs: Solutions to Common Challenges
10:30 - 11:00, Patrick Slaughter
- Different Plans, Different Methods of Division, Different Difficulties
- Defined Benefit Plans
- Defined Contribution Plans
- Government Plans
- Settlement Agreement Challenges
- Do They Align with QDROs?
- Are Tax Consequences Factored in?
- Complications that Cause Malpractice Allegations
- Military Divorce
11:00 - 11:30, Patrick Slaughter
- Uniformed Services Former Spouse Protection Act Updates
- Current Case Law
- Jurisdictional Considerations
- Custody and Visitation Issues
- Child and Spousal Support
- Military Pension, Retirement and Benefits
- Survivor Benefit Plan for Retired Military Personnel
- Military Reservists' Retirement Benefits
- Survivorship and Military Disability Benefits
- Federal Health Benefit Concerns
- Child and Spousal Support: Top Issues that MUST be Addressed
12:30 - 1:45, Julie D. Eisenhower and Mital D. Patel
- UIFSA and Jurisdictional Issues
- New Tax Laws Affecting Support
- Imputed Income
- Analysis of the Current Child Support Model
- Arguing Spousal Support
- Enforcement Options
- Modification and Termination Procedures and Tactics
- Case Law Update
- High-Conflict Custody and Parenting Time Concerns
1:45 - 2:30, Stuart Breakstone
- Negotiating/Drafting Pitfalls: Avoiding Provisions that Lead to Disputes
- Custody Evaluations Reports - How, What and When to Challenge
- UCCJEA and Relocation - Key Challenges
- Temporary Orders for Custody - Getting What You Want
- Custody Concerns in Same-Sex Couples
- When to Modify or Terminate the Parenting Plan
- Parental Alienation and Abuse Allegations: Key Hurdles for Proving/Disproving
2:45 - 3:30, Stuart Breakstone
- Proving Alienation: Mental Health vs. Court Views
- Witness Examination: GALs, Parenting Coordinators and More
- Key Challenges in Admissibility of Evidence and Testimony
- Fighting Against False Allegations
- Ethics in Family Law
3:30 - 4:30, Stuart Breakstone
- Managing Client Expectations
- Limited Scope Representation
- Dealing with Difficult Clients
- Researching and Preventing Conflicts of Interest
- Communication with Adverse Party