A Practical Guide to Handling Your Law Firms Record Retention Management
Are you equipped to handle the back-stock of paperwork, emails, faxes and smart phone information that comes into your law firm every day? How do you handle deleting emails in your law firm? Deciding which documents to retain and which to destroy can be perplexing and time consuming. Don't let a lax destruction policy put your firm at risk. Join our faculty in discussing regulatory requirements and attorney obligations. Register today!
- Spot red flags in your current document retention and destruction policy.
- Avoid penalties by ensuring you are in compliance with the Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Effectively incorporate into the policy system special provisions for law firm administrative documents.
12:00 pm to 1:30 pm Eastern Standard Time
Presenter: Michael A. Kirtland
- Legislative and Regulatory Requirements
- Attorney's Obligations in Rules of Professional Conduct
- Who Owns the Documents (Originals, Copies, Notes)?
- Communicating with Clients and Other Parties About Record Destruction - With Sample Correspondence
- Model Document Retention/Destruction Policy
- Actions that Indicate Completion of a Case/Legal Matter
- Culling Files
- How to Destroy Files
- Guidelines for Implementing a New Policy
- Common Issues that Arise
- Electronic Records Destruction
- Special Considerations for Law Firm Administrative Documents
This program is geared towards attorneys. Law office administration and paralegals may also benefit from attending.