Prevent Problems Down the Line With Superior Skills
Do you have a solid foundation of knowledge in title law? Are you confident in handling any complications that may arise? This comprehensive online seminar will give you the title law fundamentals you need to make title problems a non-issue in your business. Our expert faculty will take you through the title examination process, so you can identify potential problems before they arise. Don't miss this opportunity to build your skills. Register today!
- Gain strategies and techniques for overcoming common and not so common obstacles to obtain marketable title.
- Navigate the title examination process with ease using forms, practice tips and procedural pointers from experienced practitioners.
- Don't let common title issues derail your transaction: learn to identify and overcome title issues.
- Learn how to overcome title defects such as homestead and statutory rights, heir's deeds, and defects in execution.
- Elements incorrect or missing in documentation? We'll show you what you can do.
- Gain practical tips on reviewing the title commitment and final policy.
- Learn how to handle voluntary and involuntary title transfers with ease.
All times are shown in Central time
- THE LAW OF REAL ESTATE TITLES
9:00 - 10:15, Ryan S. Shaughnessy
- Conveyance of Real Estate Distinguished from Transfer of Personal Property
- Title Insurance - An American Creation
- What is a "Chain of Title"
- Lender Coverage ("Lien Insurance") Compared with Owner Coverage
- Title Insurance Compared with Other Traditional Lines of Insurance
- THE PROCESS OF TITLE EXAMINATION
10:30 - 12:00, Nathaniel S. Walsh
- Role of Title Companies
- Finding and Resolving Issues Through Examination of the Records
- Defects in Execution
- Homestead and Statutory Rights
- Heir's Deeds
- Missing or Incorrect Elements in Documents
- Old Roads and Old Subdivisions
- Examination of the Abstract of Title
- REVIEWING THE TITLE COMMITMENT AND FINAL POLICIES
1:00 - 2:15, Nathaniel S. Walsh
- Source of Title
- What is Marketable Title?
- Introduction to Title Insurance
- Negotiating Title Insurance Coverages
- ALTA Owner's and Lender's Title Insurance Policies
- Availability of Expanded Coverage Policies Provided by ALTA
- The Role of the State
- ETHICAL CONSIDERATIONS
2:30 - 3:30, Ryan S. Shaughnessy
- Attorneys' Fees
- Conflicts of Interest
- Multiple Representation
- Disclosure of Defects in Property
- TRANSFER OF TITLE
3:30 - 4:30, Ted D. Disabato
- Voluntary Transfers
- Legal Requirements for an Effective Conveyance
- Types of Deeds
- Involuntary Transfers
- Foreclosures of Mortgages or Deeds of Trusts
- Mechanics' Lien Foreclosures
- Foreclosures of Tax and Other Liens
- Adverse Possession
- Reversion of Title
- Forfeitures of Title
- Private Covenants and Restrictions