Tennessee Employment Law
presented by NBI, Inc.
Tennessee Employment Law
Employment Law Fundamentals
Employer-employee relationships are infinitely varied and rife with potential conflict. This comprehensive employment law guide will walk through the legal essentials you need to speak with authority on employment issues. Explore both litigation and compliance aspects of the law to help you handle any questions likely to cross your path. Register today!
- Get the latest update on state and local employment laws and regs.
- Walk through FMLA, USERRA and other employee leave laws.
- Ensure all equal employment rules are obeyed.
- Review common discrimination, harassment and retaliation issues.
- Get FLSA and state wage and hour essentials on employee classifications and top claims.
- Find out how workplace investigations are used in employment litigation.
- The Employment Relationship: Employment at Will and Exceptions & Equal Employment Laws (Title VII, ADEA, GINA, EPA, PDA and More)
9:00 - 10:15, J. Randall Patterson
- Employee Handbooks and Policies in the 21st Century
10:30 - 11:30, J. Randall Patterson
- Guidelines for Whether Your Organization Should or Should Not Have a Handbook
- Ensuring Handbook Style Fits with Corporate Culture
- Revising the Old vs. Starting Anew
- Topics That Should be Included
- Boilerplate Language
- State and Local Employment Laws Update
11:30 - 12:00, Kathy D. Aslinger
- FMLA Leave Essentials
1:00 - 2:00, Kathy D. Aslinger
- FMLA - What it Says
- Interactions with ADA and State Workers' Comp Laws
- Key Leave, Accommodation and Disability Issues
- Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Claims
2:00 - 3:15, Savannah Dabney
- Common Claims
- Burdens of Proof, Production and Persuasion
- Employer Documentation That Makes or Breaks Claims
- EEOC and State Agency Charges
- State and Local Wage and Hour Laws
3:30 - 4:30, Savannah Dabney
- FLSA Essentials
9:00 - 10:00, Nicholas W. Diegel
- Employer vs. Employee
- Hours Worked
- Employee Classification
- Independent Contractors
- Salespeople and Commissioned Employees
- A Step-by-Step Guide Through the Civil Complaint Process
- ADA - From Accommodation to Discrimination
10:15 - 11:15, Maury Nicely
- Key Discovery and Evidence Issues in Employment Litigation
11:15 - 12:15, Maury Nicely
- Discoverability of Workplace Investigation Reports
- Job Description
- Emails, Voicemails, Texts
- Employment Records
- Co-Worker Testimony
- OSHA and Workplace Safety: Section 11(c) Retaliation or Adverse Action Rule
1:15 - 2:15, Nicholas W. Diegel
- Workplace Privacy (HIPAA, GINA, etc.)
2:15 - 3:15, Joseph G. Jarret
- Ethical Issues in Employment Law
3:30 - 4:30, Joseph G. Jarret
- Key Rules of Professional Conduct
- Privileged Communications
- Identifying and Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
Who Should Attend
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar offers employment law essentials that will benefit: