Instill lasting value in your parking structure by applying thoughtful, creative, innovative design.A parking structure is one of the dominant and driving forces in real estate, impacting the success of a commercial development, and significantly affecting the built environment. Not only is it critical that the appropriate parking solution be implemented for the immediate success of any planned development, but a parking structure also affects the future surrounding development and land use for many years into the future. Shifts in demographics and generational priorities, including trends in the liveworkplay balance, as well as innovations in technology related to personal transportation, are changing the patterns of growth in our urban areas. Thorough parking planning must recognize several factors, including proper siting, demand analysis, understanding of user needs, and good layouts, in order to provide a successful parking project. This topic will give a stepbystep description of the parking planning process, focusing on best practices, and including a brief overview of those trends that will shape transportation and parking into the near future. This information will help the person who is responsible for managing the development of a garage determine the ultimate form of the garage, inform the operation of the garage, and ensure the garage will be ready to meet the needs of future demand.
What Does It Mean to Achieve Success With Parking Design and Planning?
• The Facility Is "Right-Sized"
• The Facility Is Safe, Convenient, and Comfortable
• The Construction and Operation of the Facility Are Affordable
• The Facility Is Environmentally Sensitive, and Anticipates Future Trends
• The Facility Economically Activates the Street on Which Is It Located, Creates a Sense of Place Is Aesthetically Attractive, and Fosters Foot Traffic
• The Facility Is Well Utilized by the Intended User
• Internal Circulation Patterns Are Clear and Distinct, and the Garage Provides a Connection Between Various Transportation Modes
• The Physical Structure Is Durable and Provides the Amenity for the Intended Duration
How Does a Parking Planner Program and Design the Garage to Create a Successful Layout?
• Properly Determining the Amount of Parking Required
• Properly Sizing the Parking Spaces, Drive Aisles, and Column Spacing
• Properly Locate the Driving Ramps, and Use the Most Beneficial Ramping Style
• Properly Select the Correct Parking Access and Revenue Control Equipment
How Does a Parking Planner Create a Garage That Appeals to the User?
• Exterior Architectural Treatments
• Interior Enhancements
• Safe and Inviting
• Easy to Navigate for Automobiles and Pedestrians
How Does a Parking Planner Create a Facility That Has a Long Lifespan?
• Good Structural Design/Durability Design
• Recommended Maintenance Procedures
• Planning for the Future Parking Demand
How Does a Parking Planner Create a Facility That Is Financially Viable?
• Properly Determining the Amount of Parking/Facility Required
• Properly Designing the Functional Layout to Create an Efficient Footprint
• Estimating the Construction Costs and Monitoring the Decisions During the Design
• Process That Will Impact That Cost Estimate
Michael App, AIA, LEED, AP, NCARB, ParkSmart Advisor with TimHaas
AIA ,AICP ,ENG ,Additional credit may be available upon request.