Step-by-Step Through the Process: From Contract to Closing
Whether you're new to the real estate arena or just need a practical refresher, this course is for you. Walk through the real estate transaction process with our experienced practitioners. From the purchase agreement to financing to due diligence and more, learn what you need to do to protect clients, minimize delays and keep things moving smoothly toward closing. Don't miss out on this comprehensive toolkit - register today!
- Learn how to draft contingencies and other purchase and sale agreement provisions that work in your client's favor.
- Know what you need to look for when reviewing loan documents.
- Find out how to read legal descriptions and surveys in order to identify and evaluate title issues.
- Determine how to resolve breaks in the chain of title, liens, uncertain boundary lines and other issues that may be unearthed.
- Minimize delays by finding ways to keep lenders, buyers, sellers and other parties on schedule.
- Navigate the in's and out's of the real estate closing process and tie up any loose ends post-closing.
10:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- Drafting the Letter of Intent and Purchase and Sale Agreement
10:00 - 11:00, Mark D. Kimball
- Drafting the Letter of Intent
- Due Diligence Considerations
- Reps and Warranties
- Key Contingencies
- Escrow Instructions and Closing Deliveries
- Event-of-Default Provisions
- Sample LOI and Purchase Contract
- Handling Escrow Matters
- Financing Real Estate Transactions
11:15 - 12:00, Christopher Huntley
- Key Regulations: Ensuring Compliance
- Financing Options (and Making the Right Choice)
- Alternatives to Traditional Financing
- Review of Loan Documentation and Common Pitfalls
- Guaranties and Carve Outs
- Negotiating Key Provisions
- Title and Survey Review: What to Look for, Where to Find it
12:00 - 1:00, Neil M. Hilkert
- Beginning the Search: Gathering Key Information
- Creating the Chain of Title
- Examining Conveyances
- Reading Legal Descriptions to Verify Information
- Searching for Judgment Liens, Lis Pendens, Civil Actions and More
- Investigating Ownership Discrepancies: LLCs, Corporations, etc.
- Preparing Title Opinions
- How to Order and Read Surveys
- Sample Survey Review
- Cross-Reading Legal Descriptions and Surveys
- Using Title Insurance and Curing Defects
1:30 - 2:15, Neil M. Hilkert
- Reviewing the Title Commitment and Exception Documents
- Title and Survey Objections and Letters
- Resolving Title Issues
- Issues with Documents in the Chain of Title
- Filing and Clerical Errors
- Incorrect or Overlapping Legal Descriptions
- Liens, Judgments and Mortgages
- Use Restrictions, Easements and Encroachments
- Boundary Disputes
- Handling Quiet Title Actions
- Requesting Title Insurance Endorsements
- Conducting Other Due Diligence
2:15 - 3:00, Christopher Huntley
- Confirming Reps and Warranties
- Reviewing Zoning, Subdivision and Land Use Matters
- Reading Leases
- Evaluating Insurance
- Permits and Licenses
- Investigating Potential Environmental Issues
- Other Avenues of Investigation
- Renegotiations and Troubleshooting Issues
- Closing the Transaction and Handling Post-Closing Issues
3:15 - 4:00, Keith A. Gantenbein Jr.
- Preparing for Closing
- Coordinating Parties and Keeping Them on Schedule
- Reviewing Closing Documents
- Closing the Transaction
- Updating Title and Recording the Deed
- Remote Online Notarization, eRecording and Data Security Issues
- Disbursing Fees and Taxes
- Spot-Checking the Title Insurance Policy
- Adhering to Legal Ethics Standards
4:00 - 5:00, Mark D. Kimball
- Applying the Rules of Professional Conduct
- Disclosure of Defects in Property
- Avoiding or Managing Conflicts of Interest
- Attorneys' Fees
- Dealing with Unrepresented Parties
This how-to guide on real estate transactions is for attorneys. Title professionals, real estate professionals, lenders and paralegals may also benefit.