From Purchase and Sale Agreements to Leases, Option Agreements, Mortgages and More
Do you have the knowledge you need to draft, negotiate, review and/or enforce a well-constructed real estate contract? Knowing the basics of real estate contract law and drafting an enforceable contract can be two completely different issues. Savvy real estate professionals have learned how they can best use the language and structure of real estate contracts to create a positive outcome for all parties involved. Let us give you practical tools to start and keep you on the road to success. Don't miss out on this "how-to" course that is jam packed with essential tools to help you tackle leases, purchase and sale agreements, option agreements, mortgages and more - register today!
- Effectively draft letters of intent to ensure your party's best interest.
- Find out about common buyer's and seller's concerns, key clauses and duties with purchase and sale agreements.
- Uncover potential problems before an acquisition using proven contract review techniques.
- Assertively negotiate, draft and enforce leases, including joint and several liability, subleasing, severability and indemnification clauses.
- Learn how you can enhance your practice by improving your option agreement drafting skills and knowledge.
- Discover how to effectively evaluate different types of loan documents, including mortgages.
- Take a look at the key terms and clauses that need to be included in an easement agreement.
This is a rebroadcast of the original webcast delivered by Kevin J. Dunlevy, Michael R. Garner and Christopher Huntley on June 26, 2018. Faculty will be available to answer your questions after the program.
11:00 am - 6:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- Preparing the Letter of Intent and Purchase and Sale Agreement (w/Real-World Examples)
11:00 - 12:00, Michael R. Garner
- Preparing the Letter of Intent
- Preparing Purchase and Sale Agreements
- Legal Requirements of Enforceability
- Purchase Price: Amount, Sources and Security
- "Adequate" Description of Property, Real and Personal
- Three Material Contingencies: Title Review, Feasibility and Financing
- Commonly Overlooked Mechanical and "Boilerplate" Issues
- Due Diligence, Disclosures, and Representations and Warranties
- Breaches and Remedies
- Preparing Option Agreements (w/Real-World Examples)
12:15 - 1:15, Michael R. Garner
- Differences From a Purchase and Sale Agreement
- Consideration for an Option
- Duration of the Option
- Negotiating and Establishing the Purchase Price
- Overlooked Issues and Omitted Provisions
- Breaches and Remedies
- Leases: Negotiating, Drafting, Amending, Enforcing and Reviewing (w/Real-World Examples)
1:45 - 2:45, Christopher Huntley
- Reviewing Names of Tenants and Limits on Occupancy
- Enforcing Joint and Several Liability
- Negotiating the Term of the Tenancy
- Determining Rent, Deposits, Allocations and Late Fees
- Drafting the Repairs and Maintenance Clause
- Amending the Severability Clause
- Drafting the Subleasing Clause
- Examining Entry to Property, Use of Premises and Restrictions
- Reexamining the Breach of Lease and Default
- Reviewing the Renewal Clause in the Lease
- Reviewing Mortgage Documents and Escrow/Earnest Agreements (w/Real-World Examples)
2:45 - 3:45, Kevin J. Dunlevy
- Reviewing Mortgages
- Evaluating Seller Financed Loan Documents
- Drafting the Bank Financing Letter of Intent
- Assessing the Loan Commitment
- Preparing the Mortgage Deed
- Reviewing the Promissory Note
- Drafting Escrow/Earnest Money Agreements
- Drafting Easement Agreements (w/Real-World Examples)
4:00 - 5:00, Christopher Huntley
- Legal Description of Properties, Including Width and Location
- Parties and Purpose
- Depiction of the Easement Area
- Reserved Rights
- Covenant Not to Disturb the Use of the Easement
- Determination of Maintenance Obligations
- Payment of Property Taxes
- Liability, Assignability and Insurance
- Default Provisions and Termination, as Well as Notices
- Burdens and Benefits
- Legal Ethics for Lawyers Engaged in Real Estate Transactions
5:00 - 6:00, Kevin J. Dunlevy
- Conflict of Interest Landmines
- Disclosure Requirements in Real Estate Transactions
- Ethical Issues in Negotiations and Contract Drafting
- Ethical Considerations During Closing
This program is designed for attorneys. Paralegals may also benefit.