An Essential Legal Guide to Shootings Involving Police Officers
Increasing media coverage of officer-involved shootings has brought them into the public consciousness. As a result, it is essential to know the in's and out's of these contentious cases involving incidents where officers use their weapons in the line of duty. In this concise yet comprehensive overview of officer-involved shootings, our experienced faculty will use his years of experience to highlight challenges involved in evidence collection, secondary investigations and more. Confidently represent clients in officer-involved shooting cases - register today!
- Gain inside knowledge on investigative procedures police departments and prosecutors use in officer-involved shootings.
- Better understand the unique roles entities, agencies and unions play in investigating officer-involved shootings.
- Better identify witnesses, draft better statements and conduct more effective witness interviews overall to get the exact information you're looking for.
- Understand the process and procedures of officer training and disciplinary history investigation.
- Analyze civil liability officers encounter under 42 U.S.C Section 1983 when shootings occur.
2:00 pm to 5:15 pm Eastern Standard Time
Presenter: Richard D. Hodsdon
- How Law Enforcement Agencies and Prosecutors Handle Officer-Involved Shootings: Role of the Entities, Agencies, Unions, Etc.
- Internal vs. External Investigations
- Grand Juries
- Federal vs. State Issues
- Collection of Evidence at Scene
- Witness Identification and Statements
- Forensic Processing of Scene, Processing and Preservation of Evidence
- Interviews of Involved Officers and Secondary Investigations
- Timing and Logistics
- Garrity, Weingarten, 5th Amendment Issues
- Peace Officer Bill of Rights Impact
- Officer Training and Disciplinary History
- Investigations of Offenders - Criminal Record, Behavior and History
- Investigations Into Witnesses' Backgrounds
- Related Entity Activities Such as Medical Examiner, Crime Lab Analysis
- Related Forum and Considerations
- Criminal, State or Federal Investigations or Prosecutions
- POST Board Implications for Officers
- Employment Implications
- Civil Liability in Section 1983 or State Torts
This overview of officer-involved shootings is for attorneys. Law enforcement officials, city and county administrators, risk managers, and paralegals may also benefit.