Stay Up to Date on the Most Important Legal Ethics Rules and Risks
You're devoted to your clients and to upholding the law. But legal practice is never static, and the changes constantly create new ethical challenges and traps for the unwary. Are you unwittingly jeopardizing your clients' welfare and possibly your license? Do you have all the latest information you need to guard against conflicts of interest? This fast-paced course offers legal ethics tactics that will help you maintain your impeccable professional reputation. Find out where the areas of most contention lie and avoid missteps that lead to legal and financial exposure. Register today!
- Clarify what restrictions on attorney communications are currently vigorously enforced.
- Find out what new conflicts of interest you may not be checking for.
- Get a procedural update on resolving bar grievances and other disciplinary actions.
This is a rebroadcast of the original webcast delivered by John Collen on May 21, 2018. Faculty will be available to answer your questions after the program.
2:00 PM - 5:15 PM, All times are shown in Eastern time
Presenter: John Collen
- Top Ethical Violations - Common Scenarios and Relevant Rules
2:00 - 2:30
- Attorney Speech - What Lawyers Can and Cannot Say . . .
2:30 - 3:10
- To and About Judges
- To and About Opposing Counsel
- To and About Witnesses and Third Parties
- Identifying and Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
3:10 - 3:50
- Types of Conflicts of Interest
- Consequences of Conflicts of Interest
- Vicarious Disqualification
- Motions for Disqualification
- Attorney-Client Relationship
4:05 - 4:45
- Engagement, Non-Engagement and Disengagement Letters
- Changing Fee Agreement with Clients After Engagement
- Client Trust Accounts - IOLTA
- Communication with the Client
- Handling Bar Grievances and Other Disciplinary Actions
4:45 - 5:15
This legal ethics briefing is designed for attorneys.