Explore the Latest Legal Issues, Regulatory Trends and Case Law
The land use and zoning landscape is changing significantly. Legalization of marijuana, the explosion of short-term vacation rentals, the expansion of cell towers and more are creating unique challenges and opportunities for municipalities, property owners and businesses. Can you keep up? Join seasoned faculty as they review recent changes and explore how different local governments and courts are handling a variety of hot-button land use issues. Augment your land use knowledge and provide clients with up-to-date legal advice - register today!
- Familiarize yourself with land use and zoning laws that relate to the cannabis industry.
- Survey how different municipalities are regulating short-term rentals like Airbnb and VRBO.
- Know what recent FCC rules mean for municipalities/landowners, tower owners and neighbors.
- Examine the legal issues arising from recent public-private partnership projects.
- Enhance your understanding of storm water regulations, compliance and disputes.
- Review drone regulations and current legal issues, including nuisance and trespass claims.
- Delve into a potpourri of other land use matters ranging from regulations for driverless vehicles to green building and climate change.
10:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- Marijuana: Zoning and Land Use Issues
10:00 - 10:30, Kimberly Jackson
- Applying Land Use Laws to Marijuana
- Survey of Ordinances and Zoning Restrictions
- Non-Conforming Use Issues
- Recent Trends and Case Law Review
- Short-Term Rentals: Airbnb, VRBO and More
10:30 - 11:15, Steven J. Vatndal
- Residential vs. Commercial
- Survey of Regulations
- Enforcement of Short-Term Rental Laws
- Significant Court Decisions
- Issues for Condos, Planned Developments and HOAs
- Cell Towers/Small Cell Zoning and Placement
11:30 - 12:15, Steven J. Vatndal
- Cell and Wireless Tower Law
- Navigating Recent FCC Changes
- FCC's Small Cells Order
- Survey of State Small Cell Laws
- Court Rulings You Should Know
- Public-Private Partnerships (P3)
12:15 - 1:00, Timothy J. Walsh
- Models and Structures of P3 Transactions
- Public/Private Funding and Financing
- Development Reviews and Project Permitting
- Lessons From Significant Projects
- Storm Water Runoff Issues and Compliance
1:30 - 2:15, Kimberly Jackson
- Regulations of Storm Water Discharges
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans and Permitting
- Enforcement Actions
- Disputes - Private Party and Citizen Suits
- Drones and Land Use
2:15 - 3:00, Kimberly Jackson
- Overview of Classification and Terminology
- FAA Regulations
- Survey of State and Local Laws and Regulations
- Regulations Concerning Delivery of Goods
- Drone Nuisance and Trespass Claims
- Other Current Issues Impacting Landowners, Developers and Municipalities
3:15 - 4:00 Timothy J. Walsh
- Federal Priorities and Developments
- Significant Eminent Domain Decisions
- Changes in Traffic Patterns Stemming From E-Commerce
- Regulations for Ubers and Driverless Vehicles - Commercial and Residential Zones
- Environmental Legislative and Case Law Updates
- Green Building
- Climate Change Impacts on Land Use
- Legal Ethics
4:00 - 5:00, Timothy J. Walsh
- Code of Professional Responsibility
- Conflicts of Interest
- Lawyer Competence
- Ex Parte Contacts with Decision Makers
This program is designed for attorneys. Local government officials, real estate professionals, real estate developers and paralegals may also benefit.