A Practical Guide to Land Use and Zoning Approvals and Issues
Zoning and land use cases are diverse and numerous, and often completely unique to specific circumstances. This comprehensive guide will give you working knowledge of the regulatory framework and practical tips for approval processes. Speed up the progress and reach successful resolution to any issue that arises. Don't miss this chance to take your land use and zoning knowledge to the next level - register today!
- Hear how the latest local zoning and land use decisions are re-shaping the practice and learn what you need to do to adapt.
- Confidently determine which authority is the decision-maker on each unique matter.
- Explore constitutional limitations on government zoning actions.
- Walk through the approval processes and get practical tips from experienced practitioners on ensuring compliance and speeding up the process.
- Master the essential steps of obtaining and retaining conditional use permits.
- Follow the zoning appeals process step-by-step and get specific advice for top zoning issues.
- Guard your professional reputation with a legal ethics guide tailored to your practice.
- Learn how short-term rentals are challenging long-standing zoning regulations and practices.
- LAND USE AND ZONING FUNDAMENTALS, CASE LAW, AND LEGAL UPDATE
9:00 - 10:00, Patrick D. Donnelly and Michael A. Fogel
- Land Use vs. Zoning
- How the Approval Process Works: A Brief Overview
- The Scope of Zoning Board Authority
- Vested Rights, Estoppel and Moratoria
- Regulatory Framework: State Building Code, Comprehensive Plans, Local Ordinances and More
- Current Case Law and Legislative Updates
- NAVIGATING THE LAND USE APPROVAL PROCESS
10:15 - 11:15, James E. Sparkes
- Determining Where the Decision Authority Lies
- Aligning with Comprehensive Plans, Subdivision Regulations, etc.
- The Application: Complete Checklist of Information to Include
- The Permitting Process Walkthrough
- Following the Environmental Review Process
- Open Meeting Laws and Practical Tips
- CHALLENGING/DEFENDING THE CONSTITUTIONALITY OF ZONING AND LAND USE ACTIONS
11:15 - 12:15, Scott F. Chatfield
- Takings Without Just Compensation
- Due Process Challenges
- Equal Protection Challenges
- Property Rights and Limitations on Police Power
- VARIANCES AND CONDITIONAL USE PERMITS: PROVING/DISPROVING UNIQUE CONDITIONS
1:15 - 2:15, Kathleen M. Bennett
- Complying with Requirements: Use vs. Area Variances
- Unique Circumstances or Conditions: Providing Supporting Evidence
- Disproving Detriments to Neighbors, the Public, etc.
- Navigating Conditional Use Review Process
- Proving/Disproving Conditions are Unreasonable
- Preventing and Addressing Conditional Use Violations
- APPEALING ZONING DECISIONS: LOCAL, REGIONAL AND STATE CONSIDERATIONS
2:15 - 2:45, Scott F. Chatfield
- The Appeals Process Step-by-Step
- Obtaining Judicial Review of a Local Decision
- Using Litigation to Resolve a Zoning Case
- Specific Tips for Resolving Top Zoning Issues
- ETHICS IN ZONING AND LAND USE LAW
3:00 - 4:00, Scott F. Chatfield
- Ethical Issues Unique to the Planning and Zoning Arena
- Adhering to the Rules of Professional Conduct and Avoiding Legal Malpractice
- Identifying and Preventing Conflicts of Interest
- Ex Parte Contacts with Decision Makers
- SHORT-TERM RENTALS: NAVIGATING UNCHARTED WATERS OF AIRBNB AND VRBO ZONING AND LAND USE ISSUES
4:00 - 4:30, Brody D. Smith
- When are Short-Term Rentals Commercial Properties?
- Short-Term Rental Ordinances: What Works, What Doesn't and What Leads to Lawsuits
- Enforcing Short-Term Rental Laws and Violations: Top Issues and Challenges
- Challenging Local Short-Term Rental Laws: Key Lessons From the Front Lines
- Apartments and Short-Term Rentals: Critical Landlord and Tenant Concerns
- The Short-Term Rental Industry: Current Issues and Legal Updates