Confidently Handle Subdivision, Annexation and Zoning Processes
Looking for the latest developments on land use law? Want to know how to use the laws and regulations to your fullest advantage? With this one-day seminar, quickly advance your understanding and learn how to avoid legal entanglements to make sure every transaction is smooth and successful. Don't miss this opportunity to attain the information you need - register today!
- Expand your subdivision knowledge by knowing how city, county and township platting processes work.
- Analyze a comprehensive plan to determine if all the key elements are included.
- Know how annexation decisions are made and what filing requirements need to be fulfilled.
- Recognize who has the power to zone and how those decisions affect you.
- Ensure that critical environmental laws and procedures are adhered to.
- ANALYZE THE LAND SUBDIVISION PROCESS
9:00 - 10:00, James E. Lang
- How City, County and Township Platting Processes Work
- When Lot Splits and Industrial Lands are Exempt
- Avoid Prohibited Land Division
- Rules Applying to Inspections, Dedications and Vacations
- Private or Public Streets? Which Choice and When?
- When Can Extraterritoriality be Invoked
- The Powers and Processes of Planning Commissions: City vs. County vs. Regional
- When Subdivision is Not Zoning and Vice Versa
- What to do When the Land Use Regulation is in the "Gray Area" and Approval is Denied
- Design Subdivision Regulations the Old Fashioned Way
- Get up to Speed on the New Urbanism and Subdivision Regulations
- Review New Case Histories Involving Local Subdivisions
- UNDERSTAND THE DEVELOPMENT AND UTILIZATION OF THE COMPREHENSIVE PLAN
10:15 - 11:00, James E. Lang
- Definition of a Comprehensive Plan
- Key Components of a Comprehensive Plan
- How Comprehensive Plans for City, County and Township Differ
- What is the Basis for Land Use Control? A Policy, Map, or No Plan at All?
- The Importance of Consistency Within the Plan
- Procedures for the Adoption and Amendment of the Plan
- How the Plan is Implemented
- Tips for Working Within - and Outside - the Plan
- TAKE A COMPREHENSIVE LOOK AT LAND USE LAW
11:00 - 12:00, David C. Levy
- Who Has the Power to Zone? How Does it Affect You?
- The Ins and Outs of Board of Zoning Appeals
- Ubiquitous Manufactured Housing: Implications for Your Community
- What Quasi-Judicial Decisions Usually Involve
- Navigating the Appeal Process
- What is Environmentally Driven Zoning Law?
- Determine the Impact of Current Land Use Law
- STAY ON TOP OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSIDERATIONS
1:00 - 2:00, Benjamin Busboom
- Look at the Impact of Environmental Regulations on Land Use
- How Endangered Species Fit Into Land Use
- Why Primary Permit Requirements are Vital to Successful Development
- Strategies for Controlling Wetlands Use and Abuse
- Who Does Superfund Liability Extend to?
- Reuse of Environmentally Impaired Property: Liability Issues and Impact Reduction
- How Hazardous Substances Impact Land Development
- BE ALERT TO THE LEGAL AND PRACTICAL CONSIDERATIONS OF ANNEXATION
2:15 - 3:30, William E. Seidler Jr.
- Update on Key Issues in Annexation Law
- Get it Right the First Time - Understand Filing Requirements
- How County Commissioners Impact Annexation Decisions
- How to Request a Review by the Courts
- Successful and Unsuccessful Challenges to Annexation
- What Does Contiguity Mean? How Does it Apply?
- How the General Good of the Territory is Determined
- How Mergers, Detachment, Incorporation and Local Government Changes Impact Annexation
- What Happens to Pre-Annexation Agreements
- What You May Not Know About Joint Economic Developments
- Review of Current Annexation Case Law and How it Applies
- ETHICS IN LAND USE
3:30 - 4:30, William E. Seidler Jr.
- Code of Professional Responsibility
- Land Use Decisions for the Public Good
- Duty to Protect the Environment
- Ex Parte Contacts
- Conflicts of Interest