NEW – This course is now available via our interactive Live Online Training format. Live Online Training course length and content may vary from our in-classroom content.
Our air conditioning training & refrigeration training covers the maintenance of air conditioning and refrigeration systems. The training program includes troubleshooting and immediate action required to repair issues as they occur and proper preventive maintenance can lessen the frequency of the problems and lengthen equipment life.
This training program helps technicians with both scenarios above in a hands-on environment that simulates maintenance issues occurring in the real world. Participants of this air conditioning training will practice with the test instruments used in the trade. Service equipment such as manifold gauges, recovery machines, vacuum pumps, charging scales, leak detections, and micron gauges are also used in the hands-on labs.
Upon request, we offer free 608, 410A EPA and HVAC Excellent Technician Certificate testing at the end of this course.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and Contact Hours
Upon completion of this training program, the attendee will receive a certificate of completion. Please contact your state or local licensing agency to determine if this training program is accepted for Continuing Education recognition by the agency.
At the end of this training program attendees will be able to:
- Safely use test instruments and properly troubleshoot system
- Implement faster and more accurate “true” repairs
- Maximize equipment life through proper Preventative Maintenance
- Certification: This training program is designed to lead to EPA 608 and EPA 410A certification. Testing for this certification is administered by NTT Training.
- Certification: This training program is designed to lead to HVAC Excellent Technician Certification through ESCO. Testing for this certification is administered by NTT Training.
- Certification: Additionally, this training program is approved by and can to lead to certification through North American Technician Excellence (NATE). Testing for this certification is administered by a NATE testing organization.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE?
This air conditioning & refrigeration training program is part of our curriculum for apprentice and experienced HVAC technicians. People who will also benefit from attending this training include:
- Environmental health & safety personnel
- Owners & managers
- Maintenance Technicians
- Energy management personnel
- Plant & facility maintenance technicians
- Building engineers
- Building managers & superintendents
- Plant & facility managers
- Stationary engineers
- Safety directors
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Topics covered during this training include:
- Air conditioning principles
- Refrigeration system operation
- Safe handling and use of new refrigerants
- Energy conservation measures
- How to troubleshoot and repair the most common types of domestic and commercial AC and refrigeration systems
- Hands-on lab with manifold gauges, recovery machines, vacuum pumps, charging scales leak detection and micron gauges
- NTT can proctor the HVAC Certification Exams— ESCO 608, 410A and Test of Excellence
** Participants must study before the class to take the exam.
CONDITIONING & REFRIGERATION OVERVIEW
- Theory of refrigeration
- Compression refrigeration cycle
TOOLS AND TEST EQUIPMENT
- Gauge manifold assembly
- Electronic leak detector
- Clamp-on meter
REFRIGERANTS & REFRIGERANT OILS
- Characteristics of refrigerants
- Importance of refrigeration rables
- Handling and storing refrigerants
- Section 608 of the Clean Air Act
- Regulatory requirements
- Recovery, recycling, and reclaiming
- Types of compressors
- Principles of operation
- Types of evaporators
- Operation of the evaporator in a refrigeration or air-conditioning system
- Effects of capillary tube length and size
- Thermostatic expansion valves
- Types of condensers
- Operation of the condenser in a refrigeration or air-conditioning system
PIPING AND ACCESSORIES
- Liquid receivers
- Sight glass
- Filter driers
HEAT PUMP THEORY AND COMPONENTS
- Reversing valve
HANDS-ON LAB EXERCISES
- Installing and removing a manifold gauge set
- Measuring superheat and sub-cooling
- Recovering the refrigerant from a system
- Evacuating (pulling a vacuum)
- Charging a system by weight and by superheat
- Performing a “pump-down”
- Working with service valves and Schraeder cores
Electricians, Mechanics, Maintenance Technicians, Building engineers, many others