Everything You Need to Know about Effectively Administering an Estate
Are you fully confident in your knowledge of the latest court and tax rules and the most effective transfer tools to ensure each client's estate is laid to rest according to the decedent's wishes, with minimal tax burden? This comprehensive instruction will give you all the skills you need to administer estates that include trusts and/or business interests without a hitch. Register today!
- Don't miss any crucial notice and filing requirements when opening the estate - learn what must be done right away.
- Learn how to use disclaimers more effectively.
- Clarify what must be done when the trust becomes irrevocable.
- Protect your professional reputation with a practical legal ethics guide focused on trusts and estates practice.
- Prevent mistakes in final petition and ensure each estate is closed quickly and without disputes.
- First Steps and Notices, Executor Duties, Opening the Estate
9:00 - 10:00, Donald A. Baerveldt Jr.
- Executor Duties and Powers Prior to and After Qualification
- Filing the Petition; Notice to Beneficiaries and Heirs
- Initial Notices to Creditors and State Agencies
- The Estate Timeline
- Other Estate Opening Tasks and Procedures
- Marshalling the Assets
10:00 - 10:45, Donald A. Baerveldt Jr.
- Key Assets to Account for
- Survivorship vs. Beneficiary Designation
- Helpful Checklists and Sample Forms
- Valuation Considerations
- Filing the Inventory and Appraisal with the Court
- Handling Antiques, Heirlooms and Unusual Items
- Digital Assets
- Key Intestacy Laws You Must Know
11:00 - 11:30, Donald A. Baerveldt Jr.
- Handling Debts and Claims Against the Estate
11:30 - 12:15, Chad J. Richter
- Secured vs. Unsecured Claims
- Interest on Claims
- Debts Left Over from Improperly Executed Joint Tenancies
- Medicaid Estate Recovery and Other Liens
- Insolvent Estates
- Spouse Elective Share and Disclaimers
1:15 - 2:00, Cort MacBeth Smith
- Making the Election
- Disclaiming an Interest: Who Can Disclaim, Statutory Requirements, Procedure, Consequences
- Legal Ethics in Estate Administration
2:00 - 3:00, Cort MacBeth Smith
- Who is Your Client? Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Attorney Fees
- Protecting Confidentiality
- Are you a Fiduciary? New Fiduciary Liability Rules and FINRA Enforcement Efforts
- Client Competence Issues
- Trusts that Affect Estate Administration
3:15 - 4:00, Chad J. Richter
- When Trusts are Included in the Estate
- What Must be Done When the Trusts Becomes Irrevocable
- Post-Mortem Trust Funding (Credit Shelter, Marital and Beneficiary Trusts)
- Designated Beneficiary Trusts
- Closing the Estate and Final Accounting
4:00 - 4:30, Charles E. Taylor III
- Final Accounting Step-by-Step
- Filing the Final Petition; Contents
- Final Expenses, Debts, Taxes, Fees and Distributions
- Discharge of Fiduciary