Confidently Tackle Advanced Employment Disputes
Trying to keep up with the intricate web of agencies governing employment law and the increasing number of legislative changes each year can be overwhelming for even the most experienced attorney or human resource director. Are you up to date on the latest legal developments and able to advise clients on employment law issues? Avoid inadvertent violations of state and federal regulations. Attend this online seminar and learn from seasoned practitioners as they discuss tips and techniques for handling advanced-level issues. Register today!
- Review the latest developments in state employment laws.
- Recognize and avoid liability landmines that lurk in employee investigations.
- Avoid penalties and sanctions by properly classifying exempt and non-exempt employees.
- Safeguard against liability by making sure that FMLA, ADA and workers' compensation regulations are being followed.
- Know when it is in your best interest to settle a federal or state FMLA, ADA or workers' compensation claim.
- Stay up to date on the latest NLRB decisions that affect both union and non-union employers.
- Learn practical strategies for responding to EEOC and state agency charges.
- Understand what types of electronic discovery are allowed during the litigation process.
All times are shown in Mountain time
- Recent Developments in State and Federal Employment Law
9:00 - 9:45, Mark D. Tolman
- Conducting an Effective Internal Investigation
9:45 - 10:30, Susan B. Motschiedler
- In-House or Outsource?
- Critical Investigation Triggers
- Scope of Investigations: What to Consider
- Legal Best Practices for Interviews and Evidence Collection
- Memorializing and Preserving Investigation Evidence
- Legally and Efficiently Remedying the Problem
- Creating Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA) Compliance Strategies That Work
10:45 - 12:00, Kathleen D. Weron
- Determining Employee vs. Independent Contractor
- Proving Exempt vs. Non-Exempt Status to Prevent Misclassification Claims
- Wage and Hour Law Update
- How to Conduct Your Internal Wage and Hour Audit
- How to Handle a Wage and Hour Investigation
- Preventing Off-the-Clock Claims
- When and How to Settle Back Pay Claims
- Case Law Update
- Deciphering FMLA, ADA and Workers' Compensation Issues
1:00 - 1:45, Mark D. Tolman
- ADA, FMLA and Workers' Compensation - What Do the Laws Really Say?
- Updating ADA Policies for the ADAAA
- How Do the Three Interact With Each Other and State Laws?
- Tips for Drafting Policies to Work Together
- Troubleshooting Complex Leave of Absence Issues
- Drafting Policies for Medical Leave
- Knowing When and How to Settle Federal and State Claims
- National Labor Relations Board Decisions Affecting Unionized and Non-Unionized Workplaces
1:45 - 2:30, David K. Holdsworth
- At-Will Employment Statements and Collective Bargaining Limitations
- Handling Concerted Activity in Non-Union Environments
- Social Media Use and National Labor Relations Act Violations
- Controlling Back Pay
- Responding to EEOC and State Agency Charges
2:45 - 3:30, Kathleen D. Weron
- Evaluating the Claim
- Best Practices for Investigation of the Charges
- Document and Computer Evidence Retention
- Position Statements as Potential Evidence in Litigation
- Preparing for Electronic Discovery in Litigation
3:30 - 4:30, Clayton H. Preece
- Electronic Discovery Rules
- Litigation Methods
- Practical Information System Policies and Practices
- Rule 26(f) or Initial Scheduling Conference
- Preparing Requests and Responding to Discovery Requests Involving Electronic Data