Provide Your Clients with a Thorough Understanding of IRA Trusts
Be prepared for specific challenges associated with IRA trusts by understanding their unique characteristics. Our essential primer will provide you with a comprehensive overview of these popular trusts, including drafting tactics, advantages of an IRA trust and critical sample forms needed to complete the process. Register today!
- Determine the pros and cons of establishing an IRA over other trusts.
- Gain a better understanding of IRA minimum distribution rules, such as individuals as beneficiaries and trusts as beneficiaries.
- Learn different tax issues associated with an IRA trust, including income and estate tax.
This is a rebroadcast of the original webcast delivered by Karen L. Brady, Justin H. Brown and Thomas J. Murphy on October 18, 2018. Faculty will be available to answer your questions after the program.
10:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- Overview of IRA Trusts
10:00 - 10:30, Thomas J. Murphy
- What are the Advantages of an IRA Trust?
- Creditor/Divorce/Bloodline Protection
- Proper Management
- When Does it Make Sense to Use an IRA Trust?
- IRA Required Minimum Distribution Rules
10:30 - 11:00, Justin H. Brown
- Individuals as Beneficiaries
- Trusts as Beneficiary
- Retirement Account Rollover Rules and Mistakes
11:00 - 11:30, Justin H. Brown
- Same Owner Transfers
- Trustee to Trustee Transfers
- Rollovers to Spouse Beneficiaries
- Drafting an IRA Trust
11:45 - 12:45, Thomas J. Murphy
- Revocable vs. Irrevocable
- Conduit vs. Accumulation
- Trust Protector Powers
- Beneficiary Designation Language
- Tax Issues
12:45 - 1:15, Justin H. Brown
- Income Tax
- Estate Tax
- Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax
- Sample Forms
1:45 - 2:30, Karen L. Brady
- IRA Trust
- Beneficiary Designation
- Using Self-Directed IRAs to Create LLCs for Non-Traditional Investments
2:30 - 3:15, Karen L. Brady
- Ethics in Estate Planning Practice
3:30 - 4:30, Thomas J. Murphy
- Who is Your Client?
- Attorney Fees
- Protecting Confidentiality
- Avoiding Fraudulent Transfers
- Multi-Jurisdictional Practice of Law
- Fiduciary Duty to the Client in the Context of Estate Planning
- Distribution and Termination of IRA Trusts in Estate Administration
4:30 - 5:00, Karen L. Brady
This legal program is designed for attorneys looking to increase their knowledge of IRA trusts. This course may also benefit financial planners, accountants and CPAs, and trust officers.