Get the Essentials Down
There is more than just money at stake in a criminal case: a defendant's freedom is in your hands. Do you have all the knowledge you'll need for a fair and effective representation? This fundamental legal program provides a balanced analysis of the criminal investigation and trial that will prepare you to garner every piece of evidence and to employ every tool in the litigator's handbook for a favorable outcome. Get practice tips from seasoned faculty - register today!
- Anticipate information and documents the police and prosecution must disclose during discovery.
- Make the most out of motions by developing a strategy and knowing what to use when.
- Understand the plea bargaining process (and strategy) inside and out.
- Learn how to navigate the stages of a criminal trial: from jury selection to sentencing.
- Give your clients realistic advice on their options after trial.
All times are shown in Eastern time.
- Investigation, Arrest, and Charges
1:00 -1:45, Andrew A. Dósa
- Investigation, Search Warrants, and Police Interaction
- Arrest Warrants and Procedure
- Constitutional Protections
- Criminal Charges
- Initial Appearance and Bond
- Discovery Essentials
1:45 - 2:15, Andrew A. Dósa
- Crime Scene and Forensic Evidence
- Witness and Officer Interviews
- Police Reports, Toxicology Results, etc.
- Police Personnel Files
- GPS Data, Surveillance, and Other Electronic Evidence
- Use of Subpoenas
- Plea Bargaining
2:15 - 2:45, Andrew A. Dósa
- Evaluating the Probability of Conviction
- Negotiating Plea Bargains: Tips and Tactics
- The Plea Agreement
- At the Hearing
- Motions in Criminal Cases (With Examples)
3:00 - 3:30, Andrew A. Dósa
- The Trial, Sentencing, and Appeals
3:30 - 4:15, Andrew A. Dósa
- Themes: Defense vs. Prosecution
- Jury Selection and Voir Dire
- Opening Statements
- Introducing Evidence
- Direct and Cross-Examination
- Closing Arguments and Jury Instructions
- Appeals and Other Post-Conviction Actions
This program is designed for attorneys. Paralegals may also benefit.