Master the Aspects of Complex Police Liability Cases
Police liability claims are on the rise. Do you have the knowledge to handle complex cases? Are you up to date with the ins and outs of emerging state and federal laws involving civil actions against police departments and officers? Join us for this advanced level webcast and learn how to overcome any obstacle you may encounter with a police liability claim - register today!
- Review recent developments, case law and current trends to better assist your clients.
- Get up to speed on the latest complex police officer liability issues like excessive force and wrongful arrest.
- Better understand how to handle difficult police investigations and know what documents are available for discovery.
- Explore legal complexities with misconduct and brutality cases to avoid costly lawsuits.
- Confidently bring or defend against tricky police liability claims with sophisticated tips from seasoned attorneys.
10:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- Recent Developments, Emerging Trends, Case Law and Hot-Button Issues
10:00 - 11:00, Anthony R. Taylor
- How to Avoid (and Prove) Complicated Police Liability Issues
11:15 - 12:15, Richard D. Hodsdon
- High-Risk Drug Enforcement Operations
- Excessive, Deadly, Nondeadly and Indirect Force - Complex Liability Issues
- Negligent Pursuits
- Taser Lawsuits and Liability Issues
- Failure to Prevent Detainee Suicide
- Liability of Police Officers for Misuse of Their Weapons
- Police Failure to Train Liability
- Failure to Protect: Leaving Citizens in Dangerous Places and Situations
- Wrongful Arrest and Malicious Prosecution
- Vicarious Liability of Supervisors and Department
- Dealing With Difficult Investigations, Discovery and Evidence
12:45 - 1:45, Richard D. Hodsdon
- Social Media Evidentiary Issues
- Failure to Disclose Exculpatory Evidence
- Preservation of Evidence Issues
- Personnel Files of Officers, Including Disciplinary Files
- Discovery and Analysis of Black Box Data
- Police Officer Body-Worn Cameras/Video as Evidence
- Due Process, Police Discretions and Mandatory Enforcement of Protective Orders
- Dealing With the Difficulties of Domestic Violence Investigations
- Litigating Tricky Police Liability Claims: Plaintiff and Defense Perspectives
1:45 - 2:45, Anthony R. Taylor
- High Touch Claims
- Use of Excessive Force Cases
- Suing Police Officers for Negligence
- Wrongful Death by Police
- Police Liability Insurance Claims
- Police Liability Claims Post-Ferguson
- Complex Title 59 Claims Against Public Entities
- Section 1983 and Police Liability Civil Actions
- Exploring Legal Complexities in Real-Life Police Misconduct and Brutality Cases
3:00 - 4:00, Joshua A. Newville
4:00 - 5:00, Joshua A. Newville
- Contingent Fee Agreements
- Attorney's Obligation as an Officer of the Court
- Rules of Conduct for Advertising and Soliciting Clients
- Potential Conflicts Between Client's Civil Rights Case and Criminal Prosecution
This program is designed for attorneys. It may also benefit law enforcement officials, city and county administrators and risk managers.