Addressing the Elephants in the Room: Civility & Diversity in Practice
Civility and diversity have topped legal headlines throughout 2020, leaving many practitioners concerned about where the problems lie and how they should respond. Explore the current state of civility and diversity in the legal profession and learn what your ethical obligations require. Analyze civility hypos and address the consequences of toxic lawyering. Delve into the science of implicit bias and learn how to confront diversity issues in your daily practice. Register today!
- Identify the blurry line separating fierce advocacy and prohibited conduct.
- Review how courts and professional responsibility boards are addressing incivility.
- Learn how to respond when you're left wondering: did he actually write that?
- Explore statistics surrounding diversity in the legal profession.
- Take a pulse on current inclusion and diversity rule-making activity across the states.
- Learn how to confront bias in your daily practice.
2:00 pm - 5:15 pm Eastern Standard Time
Break 3:30 - 3:45
Presenter: Joseph M. Russell
2:00 - 3:30
- Civility in the Legal Profession
- Is Civility in Decline? The Current State of the Profession
- "Civility" in Plain English
- Applicable Rules of Professional Conduct
- Do We Have a Problem? Analyzing Hypos, Headlines and Opinions
- The Consequences of Uncivil Behavior
- Incivility Survival Guide
3:45 - 5:15
- Diversity and Inclusion in Practice
- Statistics on Diversity in the Legal Profession
- Applicable Rules of Professional Conduct:
- RPC 8.4(g) and State Alternatives
- A New Model Rule 8.5? Current Rule-Making Efforts
- Exploring the Rationale Behind Diversity
- The Science and Effects of Implicit Bias
- Beyond the Mission: Creating an Inclusive Culture
This program is designed for attorneys. Paralegals and paraprofessionals may also benefit.