Get Fluent in the Language of Business
Practicing nowadays takes more than just legal know-how. Whether you work in-house, in a law firm, or are flying solo, you need to understand how financial and business decisions are made to provide high quality legal representation. Join our distinguished faculty for an incisive look at the intersection of business, finance, and law. Topics covered include accounting and financial analysis basics, corporate finance, modern marketing practices and data use risks, tax basics, and governance essentials. As business and law become increasingly intertwined, there's no better time than now to develop these core competencies - register today!
- Learn how to read, interpret, and use financial statements to understand the financial health of a business.
- Understand how financial analysis is performed.
- Build familiarity with corporate finance strategies, capital structures, capitalization objectives, and more.
- Explore digital and traditional marketing practices and how they intersect with data privacy regulations.
- Develop a working knowledge of how businesses are taxed and what's involved in business tax planning.
- Get a refresher on business structure and governance best practices.
All times are shown in Eastern time.
- Accounting and Finance Fundamentals
10:00 - 11:00, Steven E. Clark
- Key Concepts and Terminology
- Understanding Financial Statements
- How Financial Statements Work Together and What They Tell You
- Performing Financial Analysis: Calculating and Interpreting Core Ratios
- Understanding Audits and Financial Statement Review
- Financial Projection Fundamentals
- Corporate Financing 101
11:00 - 12:00, Mark D. Kimball
- Debt and Equity Financing Basics
- Capital Structures and Capitalization Strategies
- Venture Capital Mechanics; Pros and Cons
- Preparing Businesses for Investors
- Intro to Securities Law Requirements
- Marketing, Advertising, and Data Use - What Lawyers Need to Know
12:15 - 1:15, Steven E. Clark
- Understanding Digital and Traditional Marketing Practices
- Identifying and Addressing Legal Risks Presented
- Understanding Data Use and Complying With Data Security and Privacy Laws
- Dealing with Data Privacy Issues in Corporate/Vendor Agreements
- Business Structure and Governance
1:45 - 2:45, John P. McGeehan
- Entity Selection and Governing Documents
- Roles, Rights, and Decision-Making
- Governance and Management Best Practices
- Drafting in Escape Hatches
- Compensation Models
- Working with Outside Professionals and Experts
- What Every Attorney Should Know About Tax
2:45 - 3:45, David J. Berardo
- How Businesses are Taxed
- Tax Implications
- Entity Selection
- Governing Documents
- Business Acquisitions
- Understanding Employment Taxes
- Business Tax Planning Goals
- Tax Evasion vs. Avoidance
- Ethical Considerations When Advising Business Clients
4:00 - 5:00, David J. Berardo
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Organization as Client
- Reporting Fraud
- Attorney Fees
This program is designed for attorneys. Paralegals will also benefit.