Get Up to Speed on the Most Current Business Law Topics Today
In order to successfully advise your business clients, it's essential that you remain up to date on best practices and the latest developments. Focusing on the most common topics you deal with on a regular basis, this program will show you how to negotiate indemnification, advantageously select the right entity, handle the latest employment law issues, tackle tax matters and much more. Gain insight from experienced practitioners that handle these areas of business law on a daily basis. Don't miss this opportunity to hone your skills. Register today!
- From taxation to labor and employment, review a wide range of business law matters.
- Gain invaluable insight on the latest state and federal rules, regulations and recent developments in business law.
- Learn how to effectively negotiate indemnification provisions to avoid risk and liability.
- Learn the key elements of properly selecting and forming LLCs, S-Corps and C-Corps.
- Get the latest tax strategies, including how to use the TCJA to your business client's advantage.
- Review the top issues in employment law, including discrimination, harassment and #MeToo.
- Learn the latest procedures and best practices regarding how to sell your client's business.
- Ensure you or your clients are not crossing ethical lines in business law, including conflicts of interest and attorney fees.
- Reviewing New Laws, Trends, Hot Topics and Case Law
9:00 - 9:30, Mary Donne Peters
- State/Federal Business Laws You Must Know
- Recent Changes/Current Trends
- Hot Topics (Cyber/Data Security, Blockchain/Bitcoin, Marijuana Business Legal Considerations, Environmental Issues)
- Reviewing Critical Case Law
- Negotiating and Drafting Business Contracts (With Real-World Examples)
9:30 - 10:15, Mary Donne Peters
- Reviewing UCC Provisions and State Laws
- How to Effectively Draft Contracts
- Examining Boilerplate Provisions
- Negotiating Contractual Risk
- Indemnification Clauses
- Reps and Warranties
- Dispute Resolution Provisions
- Non-Compete and Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Reviewing and Red Lining Considerations
- Top Legal Mistakes Made in Contracts
- Selecting and Forming LLCs and Other Entities
10:30 - 11:15, Maya Simmons Rogers
- Choosing the Right Entity (LLC vs. C-Corp vs. S-Corp)
- How to Form Each Entity
- Drafting Operating Agreements/Bylaws
- Forming an LLC to Purchase Real Estate
- Forming/Using LLCs to Protect Assets
- Tax Strategies (Including the TCJA), Accounting 101 and Financial Statements
11:15 - 12:15, Maya Simmons Rogers
- How Does the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) Impact Businesses
- Other Important Tax Rules
- Handling Top Tax Issues
- Understanding Financial Statements
- Reviewing Different Accounting Methods
- Reviewing Top Issues in Employment Law
1:15 - 2:15, David Long-Daniels
- #MeToo Movement
- Dealing with Discrimination Concerns
- Handling FMLA and Leave Matters
- Corporate Investigations
- Managing Wage and Hour Issues
- Independent Contractor Considerations
- Buying and Selling a Business
2:15 - 3:15, Richard H. Bennett
- Basics of Buying and Selling a Business
- Reviewing Processes and Procedures
- Handling Due Diligence
- Business Valuations
- Tax Saving Strategies: Structuring Asset and Stock Purchases Advantageously
- Maintaining Ethics in Business Law
3:30 - 4:30, John M. Gross
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Multiple-Party Representation
- The Role of the Attorney: Who is the Client?
- Attorney Fee Provisions and Costs
- Banking and Financing