Gain the Skills That Are Critical to Success in Civil Litigation
In the high-stakes world of civil litigation, how do you gain the advantage you need when every case is so different? Whether you're new to civil litigation or have practiced in this area in the past, having a firm foundation in the basics is essential to your success. Since each case needs special tailoring, your ability to handle the day-to-day issues with ease can really help when you get thrown a curve ball. Do you have a strong enough understanding of the fundamentals to handle whatever situation comes your way?
This comprehensive seminar will give you a good base to start with. Our experienced faculty will share with you their best strategies and techniques for achieving the most favorable outcome possible. After attending, you'll have enhanced methods for selecting the jury that will best support your side of the argument. Give a strong, persuasive delivery with our solid case presentation techniques. Develop a reputation for integrity by adhering to strict ethical standards. Don't miss your opportunity to prepare yourself for success in the civil trial courtroom!
- Learn how to practically apply the rules of civil procedure to your case.
- Gain a better understanding of damages in civil litigation.
- Overcome authentication and admissibility challenges.
- Unearth jury pool prejudices, attitudes, biases and values that may affect your case.
- Deliver outstanding opening statements and make your closing arguments memorable.
- Effectively present evidence in order to shore up your case.
- Gain insider's techniques for effective direct and cross-examination.
- Get practical strategies for ethically handling questions of jurors during voir dire.
- HOW TO SETTLE BEFORE GOING TO TRIAL
9:00 - 10:10, R. Jack Clapp
- Negotiating with Insurance Adjusters
- Mediation Tactics
- Settlement Conference Strategies
- Arbitration Procedure and Tips
- HOW TO EFFECTIVELY USE PLEADINGS AND MOTIONS
10:25 - 11:00, R. Jack Clapp
- HOW TO APPLY THE LAW OF DAMAGES
11:00 - 12:15, Santana N. Caballero
- Types of Damages in Civil Suits
- Quantifying Damages
- Documenting the Extent of the Injury/Damage
- Liens and Subrogation
- Handling Medicare Set-Asides: Calculating Past and Future Medical Expenses/Treatment
- Calculating Non-Economic Damages
- Pain and Suffering
- HOW TO SELECT THE RIGHT JURY
1:15 - 2:15, R. Jack Clapp
- Applying Federal and State Rules
- Preparing for Jury Selection
- Uncovering Cultural/Prejudicial Biases
- FAQs About Jury Instructions
- Making a Connection with Potential Jurors
- Uncovering Attitudes, Biases and Values
- What Jurors are Thinking
- Asking the Right Questions and Active Listening
- Preemptory Challenges and Challenges for Cause
- Jury Surveys and Questionnaires
- Arguing Damages to the Jury
- HOW TO PRESENT YOUR CIVIL CASE AT TRIAL
2:15 - 3:15, Scott M. Stearns
- Application of Civil Rules of Procedure
- Effective Opening Statements
- Direct and Cross Examination Procedure and Rules
- Use/Defense of Daubert Motions
- Expert Witness Impeachment
- Introducing Exhibits
- How and When to Make Objections
- Using Rebuttal to Cast Doubt on the Other Side
- Powerful Closing Arguments
- HOW TO AVOID ETHICAL PITFALLS
3:30 - 4:30, Scott M. Stearns
- Handling Highly Prejudicial Evidence
- Handling Questions of Jurors During Voir Dire
- Talking to Witnesses Before They Testify
- Identifying and Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Social Media: How to Avoid Sanctions