Congratulations! Getting promoted (especially to a supervisory role) is
exciting . . . and scary. A promotion to leadership, supervision or management
brings unexpected challenges and changes.
Maybe you don't really know what is expected of you.
Maybe you got promoted over your friends or peers, and aren't sure how to
make those relationships work.
Maybe you got the job . . . and others you know wanted it (badly).
We know - The reality is leadership is complex to start with, and when you
add all of these concerns on top of it, it can be overwhelming.
According to careerbuilder.com more than 60%
of new leaders don't get any training at all. And even if your
organization does provide some training, it often comes too late and lacks a
focus on leadership skills that can help you become effective in communicating
with, collaborating with, and coaching your team.
And the sad truth is that 40% of new
managers fail within the first 18 months of promoting them. Why? Because
they don't get the training they need to:
- Deal with people
- Manage other people's work
- Mediate conflict
- Be good at project management
- Juggle deadlines
- Hire and fire
- Deal with HR issues
- Communicate goals and expectations clearly (leaving everyone
In other words, they get promoted because they were good at their job - good at
the "doing" - not because they can actually manage people or projects and report
to the higher-ups.
Now, there's a place where first-time managers and supervisors can learn the
kinds of things it usually takes managers years to learn - At Bud to Boss, you can
get this quality, focused, practical supervisor training in only 2 days.
Bud to Boss is a powerful, interactive, 2-day workshop, where you can get the
professional foundation you need and learn how to:
- Influence, work, and negotiate with people - not just boss them around
- Mediate and negotiate
- Get rid of your fear of conflict by learning ways to address it and
- Engage, lead and develop a team
- Manage your time and juggle an ever-changing list of priorities
- Improve communication to be more powerful, persuasive and memorable
- Overcome resistance and accelerate organizational change
- Delegate effectively to increase productivity and motivation
- Implement an effective coaching model that maximizes your team's
Bud to Boss goes beyond the nuts and bolts of your job. You already know that
stuff, or else you wouldn't have gotten the promotion. The skills that win the
promotion - usually expert technical know-how, a good work ethic, and a good
attitude - won't prepare you for all the unexpected challenges managers face. If
you haven't managed people, dealt with heavy time management issues,
administered company policy or had to deal with upper management directly
before, then you have been left completely unprepared to succeed.
The good news is that while management skills may not always come naturally,
they can - and must - be developed. And that's what Bud to Boss is all about.
But will one workshop really cut it?
We understand that one workshop isn't your single ticket to management
excellence and we don't expect you to go back after two days and get it all
right, all of the time.
Bottom line-as great as the workshop is, like any training, when you return
to work, you will have additional questions, and you might encounter a challenge
in applying all you learned.
That's why, with Bud to Boss, your registration INCLUDES three live, group
coaching sessions! These three sessions give you direct and personal access to
Steve Johnston - one of the certified Bud to Boss Trainers (he may be the
facilitator of your workshop), for one full hour per session, after you return
from the workshop, to help you master the strategies and techniques you learn in
With group coaching, you'll have access to:
- Answers to your most pressing questions.
- Advice on your stickiest situations.
- Advice on implementing your ideas and plans more successfully.
- An opportunity to share successes.
- Confirmation that what you are planning to try will work.
- Valuable learning opportunities from the questions & challenges of
others in the group.
Don't risk your career by stumbling along, making rookie mistakes and
learning by trial and error. Get the essential management techniques and
strategies you need to succeed.
Register today to become the leader you know you
8:00 am......Registrations Opens
8:30 am......Opening and Introduction
- Logistics, introductions and opening exercise
9:00 am......Setting the Stage
- Create a personal definition of leadership
- 13 keys to leadership success
10:15 am......Succeeding in Your Supervisor Role
- How to transition to your supervisory/leadership role, "from Bud to
- The 11 components of the supervisor role
- The control/empowerment balance
- The power of expectations
12:15 pm......Lunch (on your own)
1:45 pm......Communication Skills for Successful Supervisors
- How to effectively communicate with different people
- 7 ways to make your communication more powerful, persuasive and
- 6 ways to listen better at work tomorrow - and every day
- 6 keys to winning presentations
3:45 pm......Coaching and Feedback for Real Results
- Use the Coaching ABC's
- 3 sources of feedback
- 4 types of feedback
- 10 ways to give better feedback
- 6 ways to make performance reviews less painful and more effective
- 10 ways to be more supportive
- How to use a practical coaching model
8:30 am......Reviewing Day 1 and Setting up Day 2
- Includes warm-up exercise
8:45 am......Leading and Championing Change
- The 4 levers of change - what they are and how to use them
- The critical differences between managing, leading and championing
- Why resistance doesn't have to be a bad thing
- 3 ways to overcome resistance
- 5 ways to accelerate organizational change
10:45 am......Leading Teams to Higher Performance
- How to use the 4 stages of team development
- How to manage conflict on your team
- 3 ways to increase team energy and effectiveness
- 7 keys to better meetings
- The role of a team leader
12:15 pm......Lunch (on your own)
1:45 pm......Leading Teams to Higher Performance (cont.)
2:45 pm ......Setting and Reaching Goals - for Yourself and Others
- 5 keys to a successful goal-setting mindset - and why it is important
- 10 steps to setting achievable goals
- How to engage others in team goal setting
- 5 ways to improve goal achievement success
4:15 pm......Answering Your Pressing Questions
- We don't want you to leave with any other nagging questions unanswered
so here is your chance!
4:30 pm......Action Planning
- You will leave with not just ideas but also a real plan to implement
back at work!