Experienced Project Managers
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
This 2-day advanced project management workshop presents
cutting edge tools to build an effective business case, develop a realistic
schedule and budget, and successfully execute a project. You will review
principles behind the tools and then focus on their application to real world
projects. You will learn advanced techniques applicable to each stage of the
project life cycle, including initiation, planning, execution, and control. You
will apply the tools you have learned to case study examples that simulate real
- Develop a "Project Business Plan."
- Estimate value with the discounted cash flow method.
- Apply decision techniques for project go/no-go decisions.
- Value projects based on "flexibility" and contingent decisions using
real options analysis.
- Quantify project intangibles with weighted scoring models.
- Use simulation methods to estimate variables that exhibits uncertainty.
- Apply tornado diagrams and sensitivity techniques to identify the most
influencing input parameters.
- Assess risk and opportunity.
- Estimate project schedule with network diagrams and critical path
- Use the critical chain project management method to reduce costs and
accelerate product development cycles.
- Learn how to overcome obstacles and compress project schedules.
- Estimate the probability of completing a project within a specified time
period and budget.
- Establish accounting systems for easy and effective cost management.
- Use the Earned Value Management technique to track, control, and manage
- Apply effective techniques to adjust current plans by forecasting future
resource and budget needs.
- Analyze and quantify cost and schedule variances for appropriate
- Agenda, objectives, and format
- Define project, program, project portfolio
- Apply end-to-end project life cycle: Funnels & Filters Ò model
- Identify project life cycle phases
- Discuss project initiation
- Build a business case
- Present value
- Learn the discounted cash flow (DCF) method, Monte Carlo simulation,
decision tree analysis (DTA) and real options analysis (ROA).
- Assess risk vs. opportunity.
- Utilize weighted scoring models
- Practice project planning
- Apply the work breakdown structure (WBS)
- Schedule resource and time constraints
- Estimate task duration
- Practice network diagrams
- Utilize the critical path method, scheduling tools, and cost estimation
- Plan budget contingencies
- Use stimulation tools for schedule and cost estimation
- Apply the project performance measurement baseline (PMB)
- Manage change
- Apply Earned Value Management (EVM) basics.
- Use EVM building blocks.
- Learn how to calculate earned value.
- Apply schedule and cost variances and performance indices.
- Assess project variance.
- Evaluate performance using EVM.
- Forecast future budget and schedule needs.
- Close-out projects with the project control book.
- Identify lessons learned.
- Close out contract and administration.