Planning and Drafting Errors You Do Not Want to Make
Unintended transfers, unfavorable tax treatment, exposure to creditors - trust planning and drafting mistakes can result in any number of disastrous consequences. In this program, we've rounded up the top ten errors lawyers make when setting up a trust so you know exactly what to avoid. Prevent and rectify drafting mistakes before it's too late - register today!
- Verify testator capacity to stave off estate planning challenges.
- Avoid trust structure choices that are less than ideal.
- Ensure trusts do not interfere with beneficiaries' eligibility for government benefits.
- Look at problematic distribution provisions and ways to fix them.
- Give trustees enough power to do what they need to, yet with limits to check abuse.
- Prevent mistakes that can lead to bigger-than-expected tax bills for beneficiaries.
- Anticipate common pitfalls in trust administration and how to avoid them.
All times are shown in Eastern time.
- Unverified Testator Capacity, Undue Influence
10:00 - 10:30, Karl D. Warden
- Choice of Trust Structure Mistakes
10:30 - 11:00, Vanessa M. Terzian
- Trying to Make One Instrument Fulfill all Disparate Client Goals
11:00 - 11:30, Uzzell S. Branson IV
- Jurisdiction, Situs, Choice of Law Issues
11:45 - 12:15,
Vanessa M. Terzian
- Overlooking Beneficiaries' Benefits Eligibility Requirements
12:15 - 12:45, Karl D. Warden
- Problematic Distribution Provisions
12:45 - 1:15,
Karl D. Warden
- Giving Trustee(s) too Much or too Little Power
1:45 - 2:15, Robert E. Ward
- Tax Planning Mistakes
2:15 - 2:45, Robert E. Ward
- Poor Execution and Administration
2:45 - 3:15,
Uzzell S. Branson IV
- Modification/Termination Errors
3:30 - 4:00, Ben Schwefel
- Legal Ethics of Trusts Practice
4:00 - 5:00, Ben Schwefel
- Who is the Client?
- Fee Agreements and Client Trust Accounts
- Guarding Confidentiality
- Family of the Client: Confidentiality and Conflict of Interest Issues
This program is designed for attorneys. Trust officers, accountants, and paralegals may also benefit.