The Definitive Guide to the Building Blocks of Employment Law
The basics of employment law are more important than ever before - but is your knowledge at the optimum level? Don't wait until it's too late to find out. Attend this comprehensive overview of employment law fundamentals and master the key legal aspects of all phases of the employment lifecycle. From hiring to firing and everything in-between, get definitive legal information your clients need - register today!
- Master the fundamentals of hiring, firing and everything in-between.
- Ensure full FLSA compliance for both common and unique situations.
- Put key handbook provisions in place that provide protections.
- Clarify key Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provisions.
- Walk through the key steps of the internal investigation process.
- Know how the new tax law affects employers.
10:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
Presenters: Julie A. Pace and David A. Selden
- Recruiting 101: Hiring, Interviewing and Onboarding
10:00 - 10:30
- Job Applications
- Online Searches: Social Media and More
- Interview Do's and Don'ts
- Contacting References: What Can be Asked?
- Job Offer Essential Components
- Onboarding Best Practices
- FLSA Compliance Fundamentals
10:30 - 11:15
- Exempt vs. Salaried Non-Exempt
- Exemption Tests: Salary and Primary Duties
- Overtime Essentials
- Deductions from Wages
- Use of Independent Contractors
- Employer Safeguards and Defenses
- State-Specific Wage and Hour Laws
- Employee Handbook Basics
11:30 - 12:15
- Mission Statements
- Equal Employment Opportunity Provisions
- Contractual Disclaimers
- At-Will Employment Statement
- Important Federal and State Laws: FMLA, ADA, FLSA, Etc.
- Distribution and Acknowledgement
- Updates for Existing Handbooks
- Leaves of Absence: FMLA and More
12:15 - 1:00
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Clarified
- Coverage and Eligibility
- Qualifying Events and Conditions
- Leave Certification
- Benefits During Leave
- Record-Keeping: Intermittent Leave, etc.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Workers' Comp Laws
- Employment Law Basics You Need to Know
1:30 - 2:15
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and Sexual Harassment
- Age Discrimination and Employment Act (ADEA)
- Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA)
- Older Workers' Benefit Protection Act (OWBPA)
- Uniformed Services Employment Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
- Social Security Mismatch Letters and I-9
- Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA)
- Internal Investigations Made Simple
2:15 - 2:45
- When to Initiate Investigations
- The Role of the Attorney
- Statements to Accusers and Accused
- Investigation Documentation
- Discoverability of Investigation Results
- What to do with the Evidence to Resolve the Issue
- Discipline and Termination
2:45 - 3:15
- When to Discipline vs. When to Fire
- Reviews, Warnings, Discipline and Suspensions
- Legally Compliant Paper Trails
- Severance Packages
- Separation Pay
- The Exit Interview
- Documents and Disclaimers
- How Tax Reform Affects Employers
3:30 - 4:00
- Ethical Issues in Employment Law
4:00 - 5:00
- Key Rules of Professional Conduct
- Privileged Communications
- Identifying and Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
This program is for attorneys. HR professionals, accountants and paralegals may also benefit.