Succession Planning, Entity Selection, Operations, and Select Employment Issues
Join our distinguished faculty as they analyze key legal issues that arise throughout the small business lifecycle, from preliminary planning and entity selection, to employment law basics, succession planning, and winding up. Get strategic advice and practical tips for setting your small business clients up for success. Register today!
- Get best practices for handling preliminary matters, including compensation, ownership agreements, and division of accountant and attorney responsibilities.
- Explore go-to entity selection and structural strategies for small and family owned ventures.
- Expand your succession planning toolkit and explore best practices for using buy-sell agreements, trusts, and other estate planning devices.
- Go beyond formation and learn how to advise clients through the thick and thin of everyday business.
- Learn how to navigate common employment law risks involving worker classification, the hiring process, discrimination and, more.
All times are shown in Eastern time.
- Planning & Preliminary Matters
10:00 - 10:30, Daniel S. Welytok
- Gathering What You Need from the Client
- Who's Doing What: Accountant, Attorney & Client Roles
- Licensing & Name Registration
- Insurance Concerns
- Compensation Structure
- Ownership Agreements
- Structuring the Business & Entity Selection
10:30 - 11:30, Michael D. Cross Jr.
- Tax Considerations
- Liability Protection
- Convenience & Flexibility
- Capital Needs & Structure
- Contributions & Financing
- Effective Management & Voting Structures
- Allocations & Tax Issues
- Entity Selection Case Studies
11:45 - 12:15, Christopher J. Bonner
- Small Family Businesses
- Real Estate
- Multiple Investors
- Family Business Succession Planning
12:15 - 1:15, Noel D. Humphreys
- Reviewing Governing Documents & Contracts
- Buy-Sell Agreements
- Estate Freeze Family Trusts
- Estate Planning During Life
- Planning after Death
- Advising Through the Good Times (and Bad)
1:45 - 2:30, Noel D. Humphreys
- Keeping the Liability Shield Intact
- Documenting Corporate Decisions
- Distribution & Reporting Requirements
- Amending Internal Rules
- Triaging Internal Disputes
- Employment Law Basics for the Non-Specialist
2:30 - 3:15, Louis R. Cohan
- Independent Contractors vs. Employees
- Common Traps in the Hiring Process
- Post-Hiring Legal Requirements & Areas of Concern
- Discrimination Basics
- Select Employment Issues for Family Businesses
- A Checklist Approach to Winding Up
3:30 - 4:00, Christopher J. Bonner
- Closely Held Ethics
4:00 - 5:00, Daniel S. Welytok
- Engagement Agreement Tips & Traps
- Avoiding Accidental Clients
- Conflicts of Interest & Affiliated Entities
- Advising in Multiple Capacities
- Accepting Stock and Doing Business with Clients
This program is designed for attorneys. Accountants and paralegals may also benefit.