Anticipate Key Pitfalls and Minimize Your Client's Tax Obligations
Gain a practical refresher on tax issues in divorce! This program will help you predict tax opportunities and consequences during and after divorce so you can avoid pitfalls and structure the settlement to your client's advantage. Explore the details of family support taxation, anticipate tax consequences on the sale/transfer of property; plan for the tax impacts of dividing retirement accounts/pension plans and more. You will also learn what secrets tax returns hold and how to read them. Enhance your practice - register today!
- Take a practical, step-by-step walkthrough of a complex tax return.
- Understand the tax consequences of selling/transferring certain assets so you can ensure your clients receive a fair settlement.
- Flag key tax traps so your clients don't wind up with unpleasant surprises post-divorce.
- Identify opportunities for minimizing the amount of taxes your clients owe.
- Discover how to effectively resolve filing issues with the IRS.
11:00 AM - 12:30 PM Eastern, Tifanne E.E. Wolter
- Filing Status of Divorcing Parties
- Reading Complex Tax Forms: Step-by-Step
- Tax Pitfalls When Assets are Sold/Transferred
- Tax Basis of Assets; Review of Capital Gains and Losses
- Capital Gain Impact on Division of Investment Accounts and Other Assets
- When/How to Transfer Property to Minimize Pitfalls
- Foreclosure/Cancellation of Debt
- Tax Impact of Dividing IRAs, Keogh Plans, Retirement Accounts/Pension Plans
12:45 - 2:15 PM Eastern, Christine Douglas
- Child Tax Benefits
- Itemized Deductions, Real Estate Taxes and Mortgage Interest
- Tax Carryovers
- Issues on Innocent Spouse Rules
This program is designed for attorneys. Accountants, divorce financial planners/analysts and paralegals may also benefit.