Practical Guidance for Divorces Involving Business Interests
Identifying, valuing and dividing business assets in divorce requires a unique skill set. How does your knowledge stack up? This course offers effective tactics for getting accurate discovery, tracking down hidden business assets, and valuing and dividing businesses. Walk through common case scenarios you're likely to encounter and get real-life instruction you can put to use right away. Learn how to achieve the most favorable settlement in divorce involving family businesses - register today!
- Learn how to obtain and analyze business records to get a true picture of the family business.
- Root out any hidden income and assets and get better at addressing unreported self-employed income.
- Understand the mechanics of business valuations and gain insights on examining experts.
- Structure the division, sale or transfer of family business with an eye toward long-term tax and financial implications for your client.
- Master the use of business bylaws and prenuptial agreements in settlement negotiations.
- Expand your arsenal of property division solutions to offer clients more options and promote an advantageous settlement.
Session Time: 1:00 - 4:15 PM Eastern
Speakers: Kabara Korth Praskavich & Scott M. Weinbaum
- Discovery and Analysis of Financial Records
1:00 - 1:30, Scott M. Weinbaum
- Obtaining and Reading Business Records
- Tracking Down Hidden Assets: Savvy Tips and Tricks
- Classifying Assets: Business vs. Individual, Marital vs Non-Marital
- Understanding Tax Records
- Family Business Valuation and Expert Examination
1:30 - 2:00, Kabara Korth Praskavich
- Nuances in the Valuation of Businesses
- Income vs. Market vs. Asset Valuation Methods
- Addressing Double-Dipping
- Reading the Business Valuation Report (w/Sample)
- Cross-Examination of Business Valuation Experts: Exposing Common Tricks
- Using Mutually Agreed Upon Financial Experts
- Negotiating and Structuring Settlements
2:00 - 3:00, Kabara Korth Praskavich and Scott M. Weinbaum
- Buyout vs. Sale vs. Dissolution: Real-World Settlement Negotiation Guidance
- Tax Issues You and Your Clients Need to be Aware Of
- Key Tools to Use When Negotiating the Settlement
- Business Profits as Income for Child Support vs. Alimony vs. Property Division
- Planning for Retirement Benefits Attached to the Business
- Updating Business and Estate Planning Documents
- Business Bylaws and Prenuptial Agreements in Settlement Negotiations
- Control, Ownership and Operation During Divorce
- Planning for the Consequences of the Family Business Sale, Transfer or Division
3:15 - 3:45,
Scott M. Weinbaum
- A Walk Through Common Situations
3:45 - 4;15, Kabara Korth Praskavich
- Family Home is Held in the Business
- Both Spouses Want to Keep the Business
- Interests and Rights of Non-Family Business Partners
- Business Bankruptcy and Other Situations
This program is designed for attorneys. Paralegals may also benefit.